Understanding the Co-occurrence of Diseases Using Structure Learning
Multimorbidity, i.e., the presence of multiple diseases within one person, is a significant health-care problem for western societies: diagnosis, prognosis and treatment in the presence of of multiple diseases can be complex due to the various interactions between diseases. To better understand the co-occurrence of diseases, we propose Bayesian network structure learning methods for deriving the interactions between risk factors. In particular, we propose novel measures for structural relationships in the co-occurrence of diseases and identify the critical factors in this interaction. We illustrate these measures in the oncological area for better understanding co-occurrences of malignant tumours.
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Pancreatic Cancer Irritable Bowel Syndrome Bayesian Network Chronic Liver Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Lappenschaar, M., Hommersom, A., Lucas, P.: Probabilistic causal models of multimorbidity concepts. In: AMIA Proceedings of the 2012 Annual Symposium, Chicago, United States, pp. 475–484 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Pearl, J.: Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.Scutari, M.: Learning Bayesian networks with the bnlearn R package. Journal of Statistical Software 35, 122 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Tian, J., Pearl, J., Paz, A.: Finding minimal d-separators. Technical report, Computer Science Department, Cognitive Systems Laboratory, University of California, Los Angeles, USA (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Deckx, L., van den Akker, M., Metsemakers, J., Knottnerus, A., Schellevis, F., Buntinx, F.: Chronic diseases among older cancer survivors. Journal of Cancer Epidemiology 2012, Article ID 206414, 7 pages (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Cooper, G.F., Aliferis, C.F., Ambrosino, R., Aronis, J., Buchanan, B.G., Caruana, R., Fine, M.J., Glymour, C., Gordon, G., Hanusa, B.H., Janosky, J.E., Meek, C., Mitchell, T., Richardson, T., Spirtes, P.: An evaluation of machine-learning methods for predicting pneumonia mortality. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 9, 107–138 (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar