Model-Based Combination of Treatments for the Management of Chronic Comorbid Patients
The prevalence of chronic diseases is growing year after year. This implies that health care systems must deal with an increasing number of patients with several simultaneous pathologies (i.e., comorbid patients), which involves interventions combining primary, specialist, and hospital cares. Clinical practice guidelines provide evidence-based information on these interventions, but only on individual pathologies. This sets up the urgent need of developing ways of merging multiple single-disease interventions to provide professional assistance to comorbid patients. Here, we propose an integrated care model formalizing the treatment of chronic comorbid patients across primary, specialist and hospital cares. The model establishes the baseline of a divide-and-conquer approach to the complex task of multiple therapy combination that was tested on the comorbidity of hypertension and chronic heart failure.
KeywordsComputerized Clinical Practice Guidelines Clinical Decision Support Systems Health Care Modeling Therapy Combination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.GuiLine Interaction Detection Architecture (Glinda) project (March 2013), http://glinda-project.stanford.edu
- 6.López-Vallverdú, J.A., Riaño, D., Collado, A.: Rule-based combination of comorbid treatments for chronic diseases applied to hypertension, diabetes mellitus and heart failure. In: Lenz, R., Miksch, S., Peleg, M., Reichert, M., Riaño, D., ten Teije, A. (eds.) ProHealth 2012/KR4HC 2012. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 7738, pp. 30–41. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Riaño, D., Real, F., et al.: An ontology-based personalization of health-care knowledge to support clinical decisions for chronically ill patients. JBI 45, 429–446 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.7th Report on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. US Dept. Health Human Services (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Guia de maneig de la diabetes (March 2013) (in Catalan), www.grupsagessa.com/documents/menupai/pai_diabetis-catala.pdf
- 12.Unstable angina and NSTEMI (March 2013), http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG94
- 13.Guia de maneig de la hipercolesterolèmia (March 2013) (in Catalan), www.grupsagessa.com/documents/menupai/pai_hipercolesterolemia-catala.pdf