Knowledge-Based Identification of Multicomponent Therapies
In recent years, several approaches have been proposed to improve the capacity of pharmaceutical research to support personalized care. An approach that takes advantages of the large amount of biological knowledge continuously collected in different repositories could improve the drug discovery process. In this context, networks are increasingly used as universal platforms to integrate the knowledge available on a complex disease. The objective of this work is to provide a knowledge-based strategy to support polypharmacology, a new promising approach for drug discovery. Given a specific disease, the proposed method is able to identify the possible targets by analysing the topological features of the related network. The network-based analysis defines a score aimed at ranking the targets and selecting their best combinations. The results obtained on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus highlight the ability of the method to retrieve novel target candidates related to the considered disease.
Keywordspolypharmacology network-based bioinformatics drug discovery target ranking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hwang, W., Cho, R.M.: Bridging centrality: Identifying bridging nodes in scale-free networks. Technical Report, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University at Buffalo (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Leung, E.L., Cao, Z.W., Jiang, Z.H., Zhou, H., Liu, L.: Network-based drug discovery by integrating systems biology and computational technologies. Briefings in Bioinformatics (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, Q., Li, X., Li, C., Chen, L., Song, J., Tang, Y., Xu, X.: A network-based multi-target computational estimation scheme for anticoagulant activities of compounds. PLoS ONE 6(3), e14774 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, S., Zhang, B., Zhang, N.: Network target for screening synergistic drug combinations with application to traditional chinese medicine. BMC Systems Biology 5(suppl. 1), S10 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Vallabhajosyula, R.R., Chakravarti, D., Lutfeali, S., Ray, A., Raval, A.: Identifying hubs in protein interaction networks. PLoS ONE 4(4), e5344 (2009)Google Scholar