Efficient 1D and 2D Barcode Detection Using Mathematical Morphology
Barcode technology is essential in automatic identification, and is used in a wide range of real-time applications. Different code types and applications impose special problems, so there is a continuous need for solutions with improved performance. Several methods exist for code localization, that are well characterized by accuracy and speed. Particularly, high-speed processing places need reliable automatic barcode localization, e.g. conveyor belts and automated production, where missed detections cause loss of profit. Our goal is to detect automatically, rapidly and accurately the barcode location with the help of extracted image features. We propose a new algorithm variant, that outperforms in both accuracy and efficiency other detectors found in the literature using similar ideas, and also improves on the detection performance in detecting 2D codes compared to our previous algorithm.
Keywordsbarcode detection morphological operations bottom-hat filter distance map
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Palmer, R.C.: The Bar Code Book: Reading, Printing, and Specification of Bar Code Symbols. Helmers Pub. (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Adelmann, R.: Toolkit for bar code recognition and resolving on camera phones - jump starting the internet of things. In: Informatik 2006 Workshop on Mobile and Embedded Interactive Systems (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Tuinstra, T.R.: Reading Barcodes from Digital Imagery. PhD thesis, Cedarville University (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Tekin, E., Coughlan, J.M.: An algorithm enabling blind users to find and read barcodes. In: Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV), pp. 1–8 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.James Juett, X.Q.: Barcode localization using bottom-hat filter. NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Bodnár, P., Nyúl, L.G.: Efficient barcode detection with texture analysis. In: Proceedings of the Ninth IASTED International Conference on Signal Processing, Pattern Recognition, and Applications, pp. 51–57 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Bodnár, P., Nyúl, L.G.: Improving barcode detection with combination of simple detectors. In: The 8th International Conference on Signal Image Technology (SITIS 2012), pp. 300–306 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Chai, D.: Locating and decoding ean-13 barcodes from images captured by digital cameras. In: Fifth International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, pp. 1595–1599 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Katona, M., Nyúl, L.G.: A novel method for accurate and efficient barcode detection with morphological operations. In: The 8th International Conference on Signal Image Technology (SITIS 2012), pp. 307–314 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Wachenfeld, S., Terlunen, S., Jiang, X.: Robust recognition of 1-d barcodes using camera phones. In: 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2008), pp. 1–4 (2008)Google Scholar