An Empirical Evaluation of Portfolios Approaches for Solving CSPs
Recent research in areas such as SAT solving and Integer Linear Programming has shown that the performances of a single arbitrarily efficient solver can be significantly outperformed by a portfolio of possibly slower on-average solvers. We report an empirical evaluation and comparison of portfolio approaches applied to Constraint Satisfaction Problems (CSPs). We compared models developed on top of off-the-shelf machine learning algorithms with respect to approaches used in the SAT field and adapted for CSPs, considering different portfolio sizes and using as evaluation metrics the number of solved problems and the time taken to solve them. Results indicate that the best SAT approaches have top performances also in the CSP field and are slightly more competitive than simple models built on top of classification algorithms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amadini, R., Gabbrielli, M., Mauro, J.: An Empirical Evaluation of Portfolios Approaches for solving CSPs. ArXiv e-prints (December 2012), http://arxiv.org/pdf/1212.0692v1
- 2.Arlot, S., Celisse, A.: A survey of cross-validation procedures for model selection (July 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Inc. Gurobi Optimization. Gurobi Optimizer Reference Manual (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Kadioglu, S., Malitsky, Y., Sellmann, M., Tierney, K.: ISAC - Instance-Specific Algorithm Configuration. In: ECAI, pp. 751–756 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Kiziltan, Z., Mandrioli, L., Mauro, J., O’Sullivan, B.: A classification-based approach to managing a solver portfolio for CSPs. In: AICS (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Morara, M., Mauro, J., Gabbrielli, M.: Solving XCSP problems by using Gecode. In: CILC, pp. 401–405 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.O’Mahony, E., Hebrard, E., Holland, A., Nugent, C., O’Sullivan, B.: Using case-based reasoning in an algorithm portfolio for constraint solving. In: AICS 2008 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Roussel, O., Lecoutre, C.: XML Representation of Constraint Networks: Format XCSP 2.1. CoRR, abs/0902.2362 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Silverthorn, B., Miikkulainen, R.: Latent class models for algorithm portfolio methods. In: Fox, M., Poole, D. (eds.) AAAI. AAAI Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Xu, L., Hoos, H., Leyton-Brown, K.: Hydra: Automatically Configuring Algorithms for Portfolio-Based Selection. In: AAAI (2010)Google Scholar