Recent Improvements Using Constraint Integer Programming for Resource Allocation and Scheduling
Recently, we compared the performance of mixed-integer programming (MIP), constraint programming (CP), and constraint integer programming (CIP) to a state-of-the-art logic-based Benders manual decomposition (LBBD) for a resource allocation/scheduling problem. For a simple linear relaxation, the LBBD and CIP models deliver comparable performance with MIP also performing well. Here we show that algorithmic developments in CIP plus the use of an existing tighter relaxation substantially improve one of the CIP approaches. Furthermore, the use of the same relaxation in LBBD and MIP models significantly improves their performance. While such a result is known for LBBD, to the best of our knowledge, the other results are novel. Our experiments show that both CIP and MIP approaches are competitive with LBBD in terms of the number of problems solved to proven optimality, though MIP is about three times slower on average. Further, unlike the LBBD and CIP approaches, the MIP model is able to obtain provably high-quality solutions for all problem instances.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Constraint Programming Master Problem Linear Programming Relaxation Primal Heuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hooker, J.N.: Integrated Methods for Optimization. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Achterberg, T.: Constraint Integer Programming. PhD thesis, Technische Universität Berlin (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Heinz, S., Schulz, J., Beck, J.C.: Using dual presolving reductions to reformulate cumulative constraints. ZIB-Report 12-37, Zuse Institute Berlin (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Baptiste, P., Pape, C.L., Nuijten, W.: Constraint-Based Scheduling. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Heinz, S., Beck, J.C.: Reconsidering mixed integer programming and MIP-based hybrids for scheduling. ZIB-Report 12-05, Zuse Institute Berlin (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Wunderling, R.: Paralleler und objektorientierter Simplex-Algorithmus. PhD thesis, Technische Universität Berlin (1996)Google Scholar