Mobile Phone-Based Fall Detectors: Ready for Real-World Scenarios?
Falls are a major health problem among the elderly. The consequences of a fall can be minimized by an early detection. In this sense, there is an emerging trend towards the development of agent systems based on mobile phones for fall detection. But when a mobile phone-based fall detector is used in a real-world scenario, the specific features of the phone can affect the performance of the system. This study aims to clarify the impact of two features: the accelerometer sampling frequency and the way the mobile phone is carried. In this experimental study, 5 participants have simulated different falls and activities of daily living. Using these data, the study shows that the sampling frequency affects the performance of the detection. In the same way, when a fall detector intended to be attached at the body is carried in an external accessory, the performance of the system decreases.
KeywordsFall detection mobile phones real-world scenarios
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rubenstein, L.Z., Josephson, K.R.: Falls and their prevention in elderly people: What does the evidence show? Med. Clin. North. Am. 90(5), 807–824 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Sposaro, F., Tyson, G.: iFall: An Android application for fall monitoring and response. In: Proc. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, pp. 6119–6122 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, R.Y.W., Carlisle, A.J.: Detection of falls using accelerometers and mobile phone technology. Age and Ageing, 1–7 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Sánchez, M., Martín, P., Álvarez, L., Alonso, V., Zato, C., Pedrero, A., Bajo, J.: A New Adaptive Algorithm for Detecting Falls through Mobile Devices. In: Corchado, J.M., Pérez, J.B., Hallenborg, K., Golinska, P., Corchuelo, R. (eds.) Trends in PAAMS. AISC, vol. 90, pp. 17–24. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Fang, S.H., Liang, Y.C., Chiu, K.M.: Developing a Mobile Phone-based Fall Detection Sys-tem on Android Platform. In: Proc. Computing, Communications and Applications, ComComAp, pp. 143–146 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Lopes, I.C., Vaidya, B., Rodrigues, J.: Towards an autonomous fall detection and alerting system on a mobile and pervasive environment. Telecommun. Syst. 1–12 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Fawcett, T.: ROC graphs: Notes and practical considerations for data mining researchers. Technical Report (2003), http://binf.gmu.edu/mmasso/ROC101.pdf (accessed December 2012)