Interlinking Korean Resources on the Web
- 1k Downloads
LOD (Linked Open Data) is an international endeavor to interlink structured data on the Web and create the Web of Data on a global level. In this paper, we report about our experience of applying existing LOD frameworks, most of which are designed to run only in European language environments, to Korean resources to build linked data. Through the localization of Silk, we identified localized similarity measures as essential for interlinking Korean resources. Specifically, we built new algorithms to measure distance between Korean strings and to measure distance between transliterated Korean strings. A series of empirical tests have found that the new measures substantially improve the performance of Silk with high precision for matching Korean strings and with high recall for matching transliterated Korean strings. We expect the localization issues described in this paper to be applicable to many non-Western countries.
KeywordsLOD Silk Distance measure Localization Transliteration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Auer, S., Weidl, M., Lehmann, J., Zaveri, A.J., Choi, K.-S.: I18n of Semantic Web Applications. In: Patel-Schneider, P.F., Pan, Y., Hitzler, P., Mika, P., Zhang, L., Pan, J.Z., Horrocks, I., Glimm, B. (eds.) ISWC 2010, Part II. LNCS, vol. 6497, pp. 1–16. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Kim, E., Weidl, M., Choi, K.S., Soren, A.: Towards a Korean DBpedia and an Approach for Complementing the Korean Wikipedia based on DBpedia. In: Proceedings of the 5th Open Knowledge Conference 2010, pp. 1–10 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Volz, J., Bizer, C., Gaedke, M.: Silk – A Link Discovery Framework for the Web of Data. In: WWW 2009 Workshop on Linked Data on the Web, LDOW (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Roh, K., Park, K., Cho, H.G., Chang, S.: Similarity and Edit Distance Algorithms for the Korean Alphabet using One-Dimensional Array of Phonemes. The Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers 17, 519–526 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Kang, B., Choi, K.: Automatic Transliteration and Back-Transliteration by Decision Tree Learning. In: LREC 2000 Second International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation Proceedings, Athens, Greece, pp. 1135–1411 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Kang, B., Lee, J., Choi, K.S.: Phonetic Similarity Measure for Korean Transliterations of Foreign Words. Journal of Korean Information Science Society 26, 1143–1259 (1999)Google Scholar