Applying Semantic Technologies to Public Sector: A Case Study in Fraud Detection
- 1k Downloads
Fraudulent claims cost both the public and private sectors an enormous amount of money each year. The existence of data silos is considered one of the main barriers to cross-region, cross-department, and cross-domain data analysis that can detect abnormalities not easily seen when focusing on single data sources. An evident advantage of leveraging Linked Data and semantic technologies is the smooth integration of distributed data sets. This paper reports a proof-of-concept study in the benefit fraud detection area. We believe that the design considerations, study outcomes, and learnt lessons can help making decisions of how one should adopt semantic technologies in similar contexts.
KeywordsFraud Detection Semantic Technology Single Data Source Original Data Source Public Sector Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The re-use of public sector information regulations (2005), http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1515/pdfs/uksi_20051515_en.pdf
- 2.Alani, H., Dupplaw, D., Sheridan, J., O’Hara, K., Darlington, J., Shadbolt, N., Tullo, C.: Unlocking the potential of public sector information with semantic web technology. In: Aberer, K., Choi, K.-S., Noy, N., Allemang, D., Lee, K.-I., Nixon, L.J.B., Golbeck, J., Mika, P., Maynard, D., Mizoguchi, R., Schreiber, G., Cudré-Mauroux, P. (eds.) ISWC/ASWC 2007. LNCS, vol. 4825, pp. 708–721. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.National Fraud Authority: Annual fraud indicator (March 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Dadzie, A.S., Rowe, M.: Approaches to visualising linked data: A survey. Semantic Web 2(2), 89–124 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.DataGov: The principles of open public data (June 2010), http://data.gov.uk/blog/new-public-sector-transparency-board-and-public-datatransparency-principles
- 7.Mie, A.: Government to crack down on welfare fraud as payouts balloon (June 2012), http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120606a6.html
- 8.Prenzler, T.: Welfare fraud in Australia: Dimensions and issues. In: Trends & Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice. Australian Institute of CriminologyGoogle Scholar
- 9.Thomsen, E.: OLAP Solutions: Building Multidimensional Information Systems. John Wiley & Sons (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Ware, C.: Information Visualization: Perception for Design (Interactive Technologies), 1st edn. Morgan Kaufmann (February 2000)Google Scholar