An Efficient LBP-Based Descriptor for Facial Depth Images Applied to Gender Recognition Using RGB-D Face Data
RGB-D is a powerful source of data providing the aligned depth information which has great potentials in improving the performance of various problems in image understanding, while Local Binary Patterns (LBP) have shown excellent results in representing faces. In this paper, we propose a novel efficient LBP-based descriptor, namely Gradient-LBP (G-LBP), specialized to encode the facial depth information inspired by 3DLBP, yet resolves its inherent drawbacks. The proposed descriptor is applied to gender recognition task and shows its superiority to 3DLBP in all the experimental setups on both Kinect and range scanner databases. Furthermore, a weighted combination scheme of the proposed descriptor for depth images and the state-of-the-art LBP U2 for grayscale images applied in gender recognition is proposed and evaluated. The result reinforces the effectiveness of the proposed descriptor in complementing the source of information from the luminous intensity. All the experiments are carried out on both the high quality 3D range scanner database - Texas 3DFR and images of lower quality obtained from Kinect - EURECOM Kinect Face Dataset to show the consistency of the performance on different sources of RGB-D data.
KeywordsLocal Binary Pattern Depth Image Grayscale Image Luminous Intensity Gender Recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Gunay, A., Nabiyev, V.V.: Automatic age classification with LBP. In: International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences - ISCIS (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Farinella, G., Dugelay, J.-L.: Demographic classification: Do gender and ethnicity affect each other? In: IAPR International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision, ICIEV 2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Yang, H., Wang, Y.: A LBP-based face recognition method with Hamming distance constraint. In: Proc. International Conference on Image and Graphics, pp. 645–649 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Fehr, J.: Rotational Invariant Uniform Local Binary Patterns For Full 3D Volume Texture Analysis. FINSIG (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhao, G., Pietikäinen, M.: Dynamic texture recognition using volume local binary patterns. In: ECCV, Workshop on Dynamical Vision, pp. 12–23 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhu, Y., Dariush, B., Fujimura, K.: Controlled human pose estimation from depth image streams. In: CVPR time-of-flight Workshop (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Huang, Y., Wang, Y., Tan, T.: Combining statistics of geometrical and correlative features for 3D face recognition. In: Proceedings of the British Machine Vision Conference, pp. 879–888 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Jin, H., Liu, Q., Lu, H., Tong, X.: Face detection using improved lbp under Bayesian framework. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Image and Graphics, pp. 306–309 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Gupta, S., Castleman, K.R., Markey, M.K., Bovik, A.C.: Texas 3D Face Recognition Database. In: IEEE Southwest Symposium on Image Analysis and Interpretation, Austin, TX, pp. 97–100 (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.EURECOM Kinect Face Dataset, http://RGB-D.eurecom.fr