Social Stairs: Taking the Piano Staircase towards Long-Term Behavioral Change
This paper addresses the development of Social Stairs, an intelligent musical staircase to change people’s behavior in the long-term to take the stairs in favor of the elevator. Through designing with the Experiential Design Landscape (EDL) method, a design opportunity was found that social engagement encouraged people to take the stairs at work in favor of the elevator. To encourage this social behavior, people who involved each other and worked together whilst using the Social Stairs were treated with more diverse orchestral chimes that echoed up the stairwell. In this paper we reflect on the differences between the persuasive system of the well-known Piano Staircase and the Social Stairs. We report on the deployment of the Social Stairs for a period of three weeks in the public space within the university community and identify opportunities for triggering intrinsic motivation, social engagement and how to keep people involved in the long-term.
KeywordsIntrinsic Motivation Social Engagement Musical Note Persuasive Technology Design Opportunity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fogg, B.J.: Persuasive technologies: Introduction. Communications of the ACM 42 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Fogg, B.J.: Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Fogg, B.J.: A behavior model for persuasive design. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Persuasive TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 5.van Gent, S.H., Megens, C.J.P.G., Peeters, M.M.R., Hummels, C.C.M., Lu, Y., Brombacher, A.C.: Experiential design landscapes as a design tool for market research of disruptive intelligent systems. In: Proceedings of the 1st Cambridge Academic Design Management Conference. University of Cambridge, Cambridge (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.IJsselsteijn, W.A., de Kort, Y.A.W., Midden, C., Eggen, B., van den Hoven, E. (eds.): PERSUASIVE 2006. LNCS, vol. 3962. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Volkswagen Group Sverige AB 2009, Sodertalje, http://www.thefuntheory.com/piano-staircase (accessed January 21, 2013)