Architecture and Quality in Data Warehouses
Most database researchers have studied data warehouses (DW) in their role as buffers of materialized views, mediating between updateintensive OLTP systems and query-intensive decision support. This neglects the organizational role of data warehousing as a means of centralized information flow control. As a consequence, a large number of quality aspects relevant for data warehousing cannot be expressed with the current DW meta models. This paper makes two contributions towards solving these problems. Firstly, we enrich the meta data about DW architectures by explicit enterprise models. Secondly, many very different mathematical techniques for measuring or optimizing certain aspects of DW quality are being developed. We adapt the Goal-Question-Metric approach from software quality management to a meta data management environment in order to link these special techniques to a generic conceptual framework of DW quality. Initial feedback from ongoing experiments with a partial implementation of the resulting meta data structure in three industrial case studies provides a partial validation of the approach.
KeywordsData Warehouse Quality Function Deployment Enterprise Model Quality Goal Conceptual Perspective
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AA87]N. Agmon, N.Ahituv, Assessing data reliability in an information system, J. Management Information Systems 4, 2 (1987)Google Scholar
- [Akao90]Akao, Y., ed., Quality Function Deployment, Productivity Press, Cambridge MA. , 1990Google Scholar
- [Arbo96]Arbor Software Corporation. Arbor Essbase. http://www.arborsoft.cornlessbase.html, 1996.
- [Boeh89]Boehm, B., Software Risk Manaf?ement, IEEE Computer Society Press, CA, 1989.Google Scholar
- [BWPT93]D.P. Ballou, R.Y. Wang, H.L. Pazer, K.G. Tayi, Modeling Data Manufacturing Systems To Determine Data Product Quality, (No. TDQM-93-09) Cambridge Mass.: Total Data Quality Management Research Program, MIT Sloan School of Management, 1993Google Scholar
- [CDL97]D. Calvanese, G. De Giacomo, M. Lenzerini. Conjunctive query containment in Description Logics with n-ary relations. International Workshop on Description Logics, Paris, 1997.Google Scholar
- [CGMH+94]S. Chawathe, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Hammer, K. Ireland, Y. Papakonstantinou, J. Ullman, and J. Widom. The TSIMMIS project: Integration of heterogeneous information sources. In Proc. of IPS/ Conference, Tokyo (Japan), 1994.Google Scholar
- [DWQ97a]DWQ, Deliverable Dl.l, Data Warehouse Quality Requirements and Framework, NTUA, RWTH, INRIA, DFKI, Uniroma, IRST, DWQTRDWQ-NTUA-1001, 1997Google Scholar
- [DWQ97b]DWQ, Deliverable D2.1, Data Warehouse Architecture and Quality Model, RWTH, NTUA, Uniroma, INRIA, DWQ TR DWQ - RWTH- 002, 1997Google Scholar
- [GJJ97]M. Gebhardt, M. Jarke, S. Jacobs, CoDecide -- a toolkit for negotiation support interfaces to multi-dimensional data. Proc. ACM-SIGMOD Conf Management of Data, Tucson, Az, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Hall78]Halloran et al., Systems development quality control, MIS Quarterly, vol. 2, no.4, 1978Google Scholar
- [HGMW+95]J. Hammer, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Widom, W. Labio, Y. Zhuge. The Stanford Data Warehousing Project. Data Eng., Special Issue Materialized Views on Data Warehousing, 18(2), 41–48. 1995.Google Scholar
- [HR96]L. Hyatt, L. Rosenberg, A Software Quality Model and Metrics for Identifying Project Risks and Assessing Software Quality, 8th Annual Software Technology Conference, Utah, April, 1996.Google Scholar
- [HZ96]R. Hull, G. Zhou. A Framework for supporting data integration using the materialized and virtual approaches. Proc. ACM SIGMOD Inti. Conf Management of Data, 481–492, Montreal 1996.Google Scholar
- [Info97]Informix, Inc.: The INFORMIX-MetaCube Product Suite. http://www.informix.com/informix/products/new_plo/metabro/metabro2.htm, 1997.
- [IS091]ISO!IEC 9126, Information technology -Software product evaluation- Quality charac~veristics and guidelines for their use, International Organization for Standardization, http://www.iso.ch
- [JP92]M.Jarke, K.Pohl. Information systems quality and quality information systems. In Kendaii!Lyytinen/DeGross (eds.): Proc. IFIP 8.2 Working Conf The Impact of Computer-Supported Technologies on Information Systems Development (Minneapolis 1992), North-Holland 1992, pp. 345–375.Google Scholar
- [JV97]M. Jarke, Y. Vassiliou. Foundations of data warehouse quality -- a review of the DWQ project. Proc. 2nd lntl. Conf Information Quality (/Q-97), Cambridge, Mass. 1997.Google Scholar
- [KLSS95]T. Kirk, A.Y. Levy, Y. Sagiv, and D. Srivastava. The Information Manifold. Proc. AAAI 1995 Spring Symp. on information Gathering from Heterogeneous, Distributed Environments, pp. 85–91, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Krie79]C. Kriebel, Evaluating the quality of information system, Design and Implementation of Computer Based Information Systems, N. Szyperski/ E.Grochla ,eds. Sijthoff and Noordhoff, 1979Google Scholar
- [LR096]A.Y. Levy, A. Rajaraman, and J. J. Ordille. Query answering algorithms for information agents. Proc. 13th Nat. Conf on Artificial Intelligence (AAA/-96), pages 40–47, 1996.Google Scholar
- [LU90]G.B. Liepins and V.R.R. Uppuluri, Accuracy and Relevance and the Quality of Data, A.S. Loebl, ed., vol. 112, Marcel Dekker, 1990Google Scholar
- [MCN92]J. Mylopou1os, L. Chung, B. Nixon. Representing and using nonfunctional requirements -- a process-oriented approach. IEEE Trans. Sqftware Eng. 18, 6 (1992).Google Scholar
- [MRW78]J.A. McCall, P.K. Richards, G.F. Walters, Factors in software quality, Technical Report, Rome Air Development Center, 1978Google Scholar
- [MStr97]MicroStrategy, Inc. MicroStrategy's 4.0 Product Line. http://www.strategy.com/launch/ 4_O_arc l.htm, 1997.
- [NJ97]M. Nicola, M. Jarke. Integrating Replication and Communication in Performance Models of Distributed Databases. Technical Report, RWTH Aachen, AlB 97–10, 1997.Google Scholar
- [SAG96]Software AG: SourcePoint White Paper. Software AG, Uhlandstr 12,64297 Darmstadt, Germany, 1996.Google Scholar
- [SKR97]M. Staudt, J.U. Kietz, U. Reimer. ADLER: An Environment for Mining Insurance Data. Proc. 4th Workshop KRDB-97, Athens, 1997.Google Scholar
- [TS97]D. Theodoratos, T. Sellis. Data Warehouse Configuration. Proc. 23th VLDB Conference, Athens, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Ull97]J.D. Ullman. Information integration using logical views. In Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Database Theory (ICDT-97), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 19–40. Springer-Verlag, 1997Google Scholar
- [WGL+96]J. L. Wiener, H. Gupta, W. J. Labio, Y. Zhuge, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Widom. A System Prototype for Warehouse View Maintenance. Proceedings ACM Workshop on Materialised Views: Techniques and Applications, Montreal, Canada, June 7, 1996, 26–33.Google Scholar
- [Wie92]G. Wiederhold. Mediators in the architecture of future information systems. IEEE Computer, pp. 38–49, March 1992.Google Scholar
- [WRK95]R.Y. Wang, M.P. Reddy, H.B. Kon, Towards quality data: an attribute-based approach, Decision Support Systems, 13(1995)Google Scholar