The Bochica Framework for Model-Driven Agent-Oriented Software Engineering
Modeling real world agent-based systems is a complex endeavour. An ideal domain specific agent modeling language would be tailored to a certain application domain (e.g. agents in virtual worlds) as well as to the target execution environment (e.g. a virtual reality platform). This includes the use of specialized concepts of the application domain, software languages (e.g. query languages for reasoning about an agent’s knowledge), as well as custom views and diagrams for designing the system. This paper presents a model-driven framework for engineering multiagent systems, called Bochica. The framework is based on a platform independent modeling language which covers the core concepts of multiagent systems. In order to better close the gap between design and code, Bochica can be extended through several extension interfaces for custom application domains and execution environments. The framework is accompanied by an iterative adaptation process to gradually incorporate conceptual extensions. The approach has been evaluated at modeling agents in semantically-enriched virtual worlds.
KeywordsModeling Language Model Transformation Virtual World Multiagent System Object Management Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Henderson-Sellers, B., et al.: Agent-Oriented Methodologies. IGI Global (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Kleppe, A.: Software Language Engineering: Creating Domain-Specific Languages Using Metamodels. Addison-Wesley Longman, Amsterdam (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Belecheanu, R.A., et al.: Commercial applications of agents: Lessons, experiences and challenges. In: 5th Int. Joint Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, pp. 1549–1555 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Steinberg, D., et al.: EMF: Eclipse Modeling Framework, 2nd revised edn. Addison-Wesley (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Sterling, L., et al.: The Art of Agent-Oriented Modeling. The MIT Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Padgham, L., et al.: Developing Intelligent Agent Systems: A Practical Guide. John Wiley & Sons (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kapahnke, P., Liedtke, P., Nesbigall, S., Warwas, S., Klusch, M.: ISReal: An Open Platform for Semantic-Based 3D Simulations in the 3D Internet. In: Patel-Schneider, P.F., Pan, Y., Hitzler, P., Mika, P., Zhang, L., Pan, J.Z., Horrocks, I., Glimm, B. (eds.) ISWC 2010, Part II. LNCS, vol. 6497, pp. 161–176. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Dikenelli, O.: SEAGENT MAS platform development environment. In: Proc. of the 7th Int. Joint Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems: Demo Papers, AAMAS 2008, pp. 1671–1672. IFAAMAS (2008)Google Scholar