Factor-4 and 6 (De)Compression for Values of Pairings Using Trace Maps
The security of pairing-based cryptosystems relies on the hardness of the discrete logarithm problems in elliptic curves and in finite fields related to the curves, namely, their embedding fields. Public keys and ciphertexts in the pairing-based cryptosystems are composed of points on the curves or values of pairings. Although the values of the pairings belong to the embedding fields, the representation of the field is inefficient in size because the size of the embedding fields is usually larger than the size of the elliptic curves. We show factor-4 and 6 compression and decompression for the values of the pairings with the supersingular elliptic curves of embedding degrees 4 and 6, respectively. For compression, we use the fact that the values of the pairings belong to algebraic tori that are multiplicative subgroups of the embedding fields. The algebraic tori can be expressed by the affine representation or the trace representation. Although the affine representation allows decompression maps, decompression maps for the trace representation has not been known. In this paper, we propose a trace representation with decompression maps for the characteristics 2 and 3. We first construct efficient decompression maps for trace maps by adding extra information to the trace representation. Our decompressible trace representation with additional information is as efficient as the affine representation is in terms of the costs of compression, decompression and exponentiation, and the size.
Keywordspublic-key cryptosystems the discrete logarithm problem algebraic tori compression decompression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barker, E., Barker, W., Burr, W., Polk, W., Smid, M.: Recommendation for Key Management - Part 1: Genaral (Revised). Special Publication 800/57, NIST (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Giuliani, K.J., Gong, G.: Efficient Key Agreement and Signature Schemes Using Compact Representations in GF(p 10). In: ISIT 2004, p. 13. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Karabina, K.: Torus-based Compression by Factor 4 and 6. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2010/525 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Miyaji, A., Nakabayashi, M., Takano, S.: New Explicit Conditions of Elliptic Curve Traces for FR-Reduction. IEICE Trans. E84-A(5), 1234–1243 (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Sakai, R., Ohgishi, K., Kasahara, M.: Cryptsystems based on Pairing. In: SCIS 2000 (2000)Google Scholar
- 19.Smith, P., Skinner, C.: A Public-key Cryptosystem and a Digital Signature Based on the Lucas Function Analogue to Discrete Logarithms. In: Safavi-Naini, R., Pieprzyk, J.P. (eds.) ASIACRYPT 1994. LNCS, vol. 917, pp. 357–364. Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar