Addressing Cognitive and Social Challenges in Designing and Using Ontologies in the Biomedical Domain
- 798 Downloads
In the life sciences and biomedical domains, ontologies are frequently used to provide a theoretical conceptualization of a domain leading to both a common vocabulary for communities of researchers and important standards to facilitate computation, software interoperability and data reuse . As a theory, an ontology defines the meaning of important concepts in a domain, describes the properties of those concepts, as well as indicates the relations between concepts . Most ontologies will have one or more underlying hierarchical structures, providing ways to classify or categorize important data sets. When scientific or clinical data is annotated with ontological terms, that data can be searched for and reasoned about more effectively.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fu, B., Grammel, L., Storey, M.A.: BioMixer: A Web-based Collaborative Ontology Visualization Tool. In: 3rd International Conference on Biomedical Ontology, ICBO 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Gruber, T.R.: Towards Principles for the Design of Ontologies Used for Knowledge Sharing. In: Guarino, N., Poli, R. (eds.) Formal Ontology in Conceptual Analysis and Knowledge Representation, vol. 43, pp. 907–928. Kluwer Academic Publishers (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Katifori, A., Halatsis, C., Lepouras, G., Vassilakis, C., Giannopoulou, E.: Ontology visualization methods—a survey. ACM Computing Surveys 39(4) (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Musen, M.A., Noy, N.F., Shah, N.H., Chute, C.G., Storey, M.A., Smith, B., Team, the NCBO: The National Center for Biomedical Ontology. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (in press, 2012), http://bmir.stanford.edu/file_asset/index.php/1729/BMIR-2011-1468.pdf
- 6.Noy, N.F., Shah, N.H., Whetzel, P.L., Dai, B., Dorf, M., Griffith, N., Jonquet, C., Rubin, D.L., Storey, M.A., Chute, C.G., Musen, M.A.: BioPortal: ontologies and integrated data resources at the click of a mouse. Nucleic Acids Research 37(Web Server issue) (July 2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Smith, B.: Ontology (Science). Nature Precedings (i) (July 2008)Google Scholar