Efficient Broadcast Scheme Based on Sub-network Partition for Many-Core CMPs on Gem5 Simulator
Networks-on-chip (Noc) is proposed to achieve extensible and higher bandwidth communication in many-core CMPs. To make full use of the IC resource efficiently, sub-network partitioning oriented to Noc is proposed, which divides the whole Noc into regions to achieve the traffic isolation demand that acquired by Cache coherence protocol. We take the region segmentation for mesh-based Noc, the task mapped PEs (processing elements) aggregate into the Logic sub-network, and routing between these PEs is implemented in the according Physical sub-network, in which an efficient tree-based broadcast scheme based on multicast XY routing algorithm is carried out. The Gem5 Simulator is used to promote the research, experimental results shows our approach have a quite less average packet latency compared with multiple unicast.
KeywordsMany-Core Networks-on-chip (Noc) Broadcast XY Routing Sub-network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jerger, N.D.E., Peh, L.-S., Lipasti, M.: Virtual Circuit Tree Multicasting: A Case for On-Chip Hardware Multicast Support. In: 35th International Symposium on Computer Architecture, ISCA 2008, pp. 229–240 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, L., Jin, Y., Kim, H., Kim, E.J.: Recursive partitioning multicast: A bandwidth-efficient routing for Networks-on-Chip. In: 3rd ACM/IEEE International Symposium on NoCS 2009, pp. 64–73 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Abad, P., Puente, V., Gregorio, J.-A.: MRR: Enabling fully adaptive multicast routing for CMP interconnection networks. In: IEEE 15th International Symposium on HPCA 2009, pp. 355–366 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Rodrigo, S., Flich, J., Duato, J., Hummel, M.: Efficient unicast and multicast support for CMPs. In: 2008 41st IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture, MICRO-41, pp. 364–375 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Flich, J., Rodrigo, S., Duato, J.: An Efficient Implementation of Distributed Routing Algorithms for NoCs. In: Second ACM/IEEE International Symposium on NoCS 2008, pp. 87–96 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Lin, X., McKinley, P.K., Ni, L.M.: Deadlock-free multicast wormhole routing in 2-D mesh multicomputers. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 793–804 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Binkert, N., Beckmann, B., Black, G., Reinhardt, S.K., Saidi, A., Basu, A., Hestness, J., Hower, D.R., Krishna, T., Sardashti, S., Sen, R., Sewell, K., Shoaib, M., Vaish, N., Hill, M.D., Wood, D.A.: The gem5 simulator. SIGARCH Comput. Archit. News 39(2) (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Agarwal, N., Krishna, T., Peh, L.-S., Jha, N.K.: GARNET: A detailed on-chip network model inside a full-system simulator. In: IEEE International Symposium on ISPASS 2009, pp. 33–42 (2009)Google Scholar