Experimental Detection and Synchronisation Validation for a TR-UWB System Based on the Time Delayed Sampling and Correletion Scheme
The detection and synchronization experimental validation of the “Time Delayed Sampling and Correlation” (TDSC) detection scheme for transmitted reference ultra-wideband signals (TR-UWB) is presented. This structure has been proposed to achieve a UWB system with low cost, low complexity and low power consumption for medium to low data rate applications which includes ranging for localization purposes. The scheme is implemented in CMOS technology and a test platform has been designed. Detection of TR-UWB signals and the principle of the proposed synchronization process have been done successfully in both a direct cable connection as well in a wireless system with a real channel. In both cases they were used in the sub GHz band (group 1) and also in the low band UWB signals. Further work and experimental results are also shown for a distance measurement strategy, based on the time of arrival (TOA) using the TDSC scheme.
KeywordsUltra-wideband TR-UWB CMOS TDSC Time of arrival TOA Ranging Indoor localization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Federal Communications Commission. Revision of part 15 of the commissions rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems. Technical report (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE standard for information technology - telecommunications and information exchange between systems - local and metropolitan area networks - specific requirement part 15.4: Wireless medium access control (mac) and physical layer (phy) specifications for low-rate wireless personal area networks (wpans) (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Ecma International. High rate ultra wideband phy and mac standard (December 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.D’Amico, A.A., Mengali, U., Taponecco, L.: Ranging algorithm for the ieee 802.15.4a standard, pp. 285–289 (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Hirata-Flores, F.I., Muller, M., Ni, Y., Gimenes, C.: Cmos implementation of a tr-uwb receiver based on time delayed sampling and correlation method, pp. 1–5 (June 2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Hirata-Flores, F.: CMOS Prototype for a TDSC-UWB Receiver Based on TR Detection Scheme. PhD thesis, Telecom SudParis (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Saber, C., Lamberti, R., Gimenes, C.: Synchronization solution for the tdsc-uwb detection method. In: Sobh, T., Elleithy, K., Mahmood, A., Karim, M.A. (eds.) Novel Algorithms and Techniques In Telecommunications, Automation and Industrial Electronics, pp. 311–316. Springer, Netherlands (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Molisch, A.F., Cassioli, D., Chong, C.-C., Emami, S., Fort, A., Kannan, B., Karedal, J., Kunisch, J., Schantz, H.G., Siwiak, K., Win, M.Z.: A comprehensive standardized model for ultrawideband propagation channels. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 54(11), 3151–3166 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Saber, C.: Ultra Large Bande Radio par Impulsions. Contributions à la Dèfinition du Rècepteur TDSC. Relation à la filière technologique. PhD thesis, Telecom SudParis (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Muller, M., Hirata-Flores, F., Ni, Y., Lamberti, R., Saber, C.: Fully cmos low power low complexity detection method for tr-uwb. In: 6th Edition of IEEE Faible Tension Faible Consommation, FTFC 2007, Paris (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Pardiñas-Mir, J.A., Muller, M., Lamberti, R., Gimenes, C.: Experimental Validation for TR-UWB Systems - By Time Delayed Sampling & Correlation (TDSC). In: Proc. WINSYS, pp. 87–94 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Pardiñas-Mir, J.A., Lamberti, R., Muller, M., Gimenes, C.: An Experimental Approach to a Low-Complexity Two-Step TOA Measurement for TR-UWB Signals. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) (June 2012)Google Scholar