Experience in Deploying a Wireless Sensor Network in a Vineyard
The experience in deploying and maintaining a wireless sensor network in a vineyard is presented in this chapter. The first problem to be solved is the lack of propagation models for radio propagation in vegetation environments when applying a peer to peer network design. So, the first task was to carry out measurement campaign that allows the definition of propagation models. Once the model is defined, the distances between adjacent networks could be estimated and then the network could be planned. Different problems appeared after deploying the network, and some of them are reported and analysed in the chapter. Finally some sensor data are presented as well.
KeywordsPropagation Power Decay Factor Wireless Sensor Network Vineyard Node Sensor Humidity Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Timmons, N.F., Scanlon, W.G.: Analysis of the performance of IEEE 802.15.4 for medical sensor body area networking. In: First Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks, pp. 16–24. IEEE SECON (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Richter, J., Caldeirinha, R.F.S., Al-Nuaimi, M.O., Seville, A., Rogers, N.C., Savage, N.: A generic narrowband model for radiowave propagation through vegetation. In: Vehicular Technology Conference, vol. 1, pp. 39–43 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.International Telecommunications Union-Radiocommunication Section (ITU-R): Attenuation in Vegetation-ITU-R Recomm. 833-6 (2007) Google Scholar
- 6.Hashemi, H.: Propagation Channel Modeling for Ad hoc Networks. In: European Microwave Week (2008) Google Scholar
- 7.Nükhet, S., Haldun, A.: The Importance of Using Wireless Sensor Networks for Forest Fire Sensing and Detection in Turkey. In: 5th IATS 2009, Karabuk, Turkey (2009) Google Scholar
- 8.Hefeeda, M., Bagheri, M.: Wireless Sensor Networks for Early Detection of Forest Fires. In: IEEE International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems, pp. 1–6. IEEE MASS (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Cuinas, I., Gay-Fernandez, J.A., Alejos, A., Sanchez, M.: A comparison of radioelectric propagation in mature forests at wireless network frequency bands. In: European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP, pp. 1–5 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Gay-Fernandez, J.A., Garcia Sanchez, M., Cuiñas, I., Alejos, A.V., Sánchez, J.G., Miranda-Sierra, J.L.: Propagation Analysis and Deployment of a Wireless Sensor Network in a Forest. In: Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER, vol. 106, pp. 121–145 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Crossbow Technology, Inc.: Eko PRO Series Users Manual, Rev. C. (2010)Google Scholar