Accelerating Reduction for Enabling Fast Multiplication over Large Binary Fields
In this paper we present a hardware-software hybrid technique for modular multiplication over large binary fields. The technique involves application of Karatsuba-Ofman algorithm for polynomial multiplication and a novel technique for reduction. The proposed reduction technique is based on the popular repeated multiplication technique and Barrett reduction. We propose a new design of a parallel polynomial multiplier that serves as a hardware accelerator for large field multiplications. We show that the proposed reduction technique, accelerated using the modified polynomial multiplier, achieves significantly higher performance compared to a purely software technique and other hybrid techniques. We also show that the hybrid accelerated approach to modular field multiplication is significantly faster than the Montgomery algorithm based integrated multiplication approach.
KeywordsElliptic curve cryptography Binary fields Reduction Polynomial multiplication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Miller, V.S.: Use of Elliptic Curves in Cryptography. In: Williams, H.C. (ed.) CRYPTO 1985. LNCS, vol. 218, pp. 417–426. Springer, Heidelberg (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Saqib, N.A., Rodriguez-Henriquez, F., Diaz-Pirez, A.: A Parallel Architecture for Fast Computation of Elliptic Curve Scalar Multiplication over GF(2m). In: International on Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, vol. 4, p. 144a (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Karatsuba, A., Ofman, Y.: Multiplication of Multidigit Numbers on Automata. Soviet Physics—Doklady 7, 595–596 (1963)Google Scholar
- 11.Weimerskirch, A., Paar, C.: Generalizations of the Karatsuba Algorithm for Efficient Implementations. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 2006, 224 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Eberle, H., Gura, N., Shantz, S.C., Gupta, V.: A Cryptographic Processor for Arbitrary Elliptic Curves over GF(2m). Technical report, Mountain View, CA, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Barrett, P.: Implementing the Rivest Shamir and Adleman Public Key Encryption Algorithm on a Standard Digital Signal Processor. In: Odlyzko, A.M. (ed.) CRYPTO 1986. LNCS, vol. 263, pp. 311–323. Springer, Heidelberg (1987)Google Scholar