Supporting the Design, Communication and Management of Bioinformatic Protocols through the Leaf Tool
In Bioinformatic studies, a prototypical approach is common practice when dealing with data analysis. While the source code of such tools provides by itself a precious tool to replicate the analysis, this is in practice often hard to realize. In this paper we try to formalize the concept of protocol in bioinformatic data analysis and introduce the Leaf System, including a graph design language to define the main steps of the data analysis and a Python engine to automatically and efficiently apply it with support for the management of data resources. The tool is undergoing testing and documentation process and is available upon request from the authors.
Keywordsbioinformatics protocols leaf python computational biology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Current Protocols in Bioinformatics. John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 9780471250951, doi:10.1002/0471250953Google Scholar
- 2.Springer Protocols, http://www.springerprotocols.com/
- 3.Cold Spring Harbor Protocols. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, ISSN: 1559-6095Google Scholar
- 4.Bruegge, B., Dutoit, A.H.: Object-Oriented Software Engineering, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall (2003) ISBN-10: 0130471100Google Scholar
- 5.Graphviz - Graph Visualization Software, http://www.graphviz.org/
- 6.flex: The Fast Lexical Analyzer, http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/
- 7.Bison - GNU parser generator, http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/