Hormonal Control of Polar Auxin Transport
Polar auxin transport (PAT) is required for the formation and maintenance of local auxin gradients, which is of crucial importance for many aspects of auxin-mediated plant development. Different plant hormones regulate plant growth and development mostly by modulating PAT, particularly, pointing to the PINFORMED (PIN) proteins. In this book chapter, we review recent advances on hormonal regulation of PAT.
KeywordsPolar Auxin Transport Auxin Biosynthesis Abi4 Mutant Retromer Complex Local Auxin
This work was supported by grants from the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (2011CB915400) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31030006, 91117013).
- Laplaze L, Benkova E, Casimiro I, Maes L, Vanneste S, Swarup R, Weijers D, Calvo V, Parizot B, Herrera-Rodriguez MB, Offringa R, Graham N, Doumas P, Friml J, Bogusz D, Beeckman T, Bennett M (2007) Cytokinins act directly on lateral root founder cells to inhibit root initiation. Plant Cell 19:3889–3900PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Michniewicz M, Zago MK, Abas L, Weijers D, Schweighofer A, Meskiene I, Heisler MG, Ohno C, Zhang J, Huang F, Schwab R, Weigel D, Meyerowitz EM, Luschnig C, Offringa R, Friml J (2007) Antagonistic regulation of PIN phosphorylation by PP2A and PINOID directs auxin flux. Cell 130:1044–1056PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nakamura A, Higuchi K, Goda H, Fujiwara MT, Sawa S, Koshiba T, Shimada Y, Yoshida S (2003) Brassinolide induces IAA5, IAA19, and DR5, a synthetic auxin response element in Arabidopsis, implying a cross talk point of brassinosteroid and auxin signaling. Plant Physiol 133:1843–1853PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pan J, Fujioka S, Peng J, Chen J, Li G, Chen R (2009) The E3 ubiquitin ligase SCFTIR1/AFB and membrane sterols play key roles in auxin regulation of endocytosis, recycling, and plasma membrane accumulation of the auxin efflux transporter PIN2 in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 21:568–580PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Robert S, Kleine-Vehn J, Barbez E, Sauer M, Paciorek T, Baster P, Vanneste S, Zhang J, Simon S, Čovanová M, Hayashi K, Dhonukshe P, Yang Z, Bednarek SY, Jones AM, Luschnig C, Aniento F, Zažímalová E, Friml J (2010) ABP1 mediates auxin inhibition of clathrin-dependent endocytosis in Arabidopsis. Cell 143:111–121PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar