Modeling of a Copyright Protection System for the BitTorrent Environment
In this paper, we investigate the problem of copyright infringement in the peer-to-peer (P2P) environment, and propose a method of protection against piracy. The P2P software BitTorrent has become the main tool used to pirate copyright materials. Thus, we study the bit torrent packet itself in order to detect the destination and source of the piracy. The torrent meta-file is also analyzed to identify copyright material. As a result, we propose a system model for copyright protection against BitTorrent piracy. Our system consists of a hash database and protocol analyzer, a torrent meta-file crawler, and a copyright identifier.
KeywordsP2P BitTorrent Copyright Infringement Torrent Meta File
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carman, C.: How BitTorrent works, http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bittorrent1.html (visited August 29, 2012)
- 2.Techterms, http://www.techterms.com/definition/p2p (visited August 29, 2012)
- 3.Filesharing History, http://filesharingz.com/guides/filesharing-history.php (visited August 29, 2012)
- 4.Schulze, H., Mochalski, K.: Internet Study 2008/2009: Peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) still generates by far the most traffic in all monitored regions – ranging from 43 percent in Northern Africa to 70 percent in Eastern Europe. Ipoque, Leipzig, Germany (2009) (retrieved October 3, 2011) Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen, B.: BitTorrent — a new P2P app. Yahoo eGroups (2001) (retrieved April 15, 2007) Google Scholar
- 6.Bittorrent.com: BitTorrent and μTorrent Software Surpass 150 Million User Milestone (2012) (retrieved July 9, 2012) Google Scholar
- 7.fastcompany.com (retrieved July 9, 2012)
- 8.comscore.com (2010) (retrieved July 9, 2012)
- 9.Jacobsson-Purewal, S.: Copyright Trolls: 200,000 BitTorrent Users Sued Since 2010. PC World (2011) (retrieved May 6, 2012) Google Scholar
- 10.Five Anti-Piracy Strategies Designed to Hurt Torrent Sites in 2011, http://torrentfreak.com/5-anti-piracy-strategies-designed-to-hurt-torrent-sites-in-2011-110102/ (visited August 29, 2012)