Design and Implementation of IVEF Protocol Using Wireless Communication on Android Mobile Platform
As electronic technology has been developing, a number of ship- and shore-based electronic devices has been used for vessels such as Automatic Identification System(AIS), Electronic Chart Display and Information System(ECDIS), Long Range Identification and Tracking(LRIT) systems. In addition, internet technology is being adopted for safe, economic and efficient movement of vessels and maritime disasters. Therefore electronic gadgets on a vessel and protocols between vessel traffic systems need to be standardized. e-Navigation is a concept developed under the auspices of the UN’s International Maritime Organization (IMO) to bring about increased safety and security in commercial shipping through better organization of data on ships and on shore, and better data exchange and communication between the two. In this paper, we propose the design based on IVEF that has been developing as the protocol for e-Navigation’s data communication. And we show the implementation. We used the smart-phone adopted Android platform for the emulation of a voyaging ship and the desktop computer for the emulation of a VTS.
KeywordsAndroid platform e-Navigation IVEF VTS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IALA Recommendation V-145 on the Inter-VTS Exchange Format (IVEF) Service (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.OpenIVEF, http://www.openivef.org
- 4.International Association of Lighthouses and Aids-to-Navigation Authorities (IALA). Interface Control Document for IVEF, release 0.1.7Google Scholar
- 5.A Security Architecture of the inter-VTS System for shore side collaboration of e-Navigation (2012) Google Scholar
- 15.Park, N.: The Implementation of Open Embedded S/W Platform for Secure Mobile RFID Reader. The Journal of Korea Information and Communications Society 35(5), 785–793 (2010)Google Scholar