Recent Applications in Representer-Based Variational Data Assimilation
Data assimilation with representer-based algorithms (also called “dual space” algorithms) are currently being used for weak-constraint four-dimensional variational data assimilation (W4D-Var) atmospheric prediction, distributed parameter estimation, and other hydrodynamic data assimilation problems. The iterative linear solvers at the core of these systems may display non-monotonic convergence in the norm defined by the primal objective function, and this behavior makes problematic the development of practical stopping criteria. One approach to this problem is described, namely an implementation of the inner solver using the generalized conjugate residual(GCR) algorithm. Additional elements of data assimilation systems are error model for the background, model forcings, and observations. An implementation of a posterior analysis method for diagnosing the error variances is described, and representative results from an atmospheric data assimilation systems are shown.
KeywordsData Assimilation Observation Error Iterative Solver Data Assimilation System Variational Data Assimilation
Zaron was sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), award OCE-0623540, with additional support from the Naval Research Laboratory, award N00173-08-2-C015. Authors Chua, Xu, Baker, and Rosmond gratefully acknowledge the support of their sponsors, the Naval Research Laboratory, the Office of Naval Research, and the PMW-120, under program elements, 0602435N and 0603207N, respectively. Computational resources for Zaron were provided by the National Center for Atmospheric Research, which is sponsored by NSF.
- de Sturler E (1994) Iterative methods on distributed memory computers. PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Golub G, Van Loan C (1989) Matrix computations, 2nd edn. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 642pGoogle Scholar
- Rosmond T, Xu L (2006) Development of NAVDAS-AR: nonlinear formulation and outer loop tests. Tellus 58A:45–58Google Scholar
- Sadiki W, Fischer C (2005) A posteriori validation applied to the 3D-var Arpege and Aladin data assimilation systems. Tellus 57A:21–34Google Scholar
- Talagrand O (1999) A posterior verification of analysis and assimilation algorithms. In: Proceedings of a workshop on diagnosis of data assimilation systems, ECMWF, Reading, UKGoogle Scholar
- Zaron ED, Chavanne C, Egbert GD, Flament P (2009) Baroclinic tidal generation in the Kauai Channel inferred from HF-Radar. Dyn Atmos Oceans 48:93–120. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dynatmoce.2009.03.002