The Transmission Power Control Method for Wireless Sensor Networks Based on LQI and RSSI
Improving energy efficiency to prolong the lifetime is a key research issue of the wireless sensor networks. Appropriately adjusting the nodes transmission power is very important to reduce the network energy consumption. This paper proposes a transmission power control method based on LQI and RSSI which can dynamically adjust the network energy consumption and improve the energy efficiency of the wireless sensor nodes. The test conducted on a wireless network established in the lab shows that the transmission power control method can save the nodes energy effectively as well as significantly prolong the lifetime of the network.
KeywordsWSN LQI RSSI energy consumption transmission power control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wang, W., Srinivasan, V., Chua, K.C.: Using Mobile Relays to Prolong the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the 11th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 270–283. ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Soro, S., Heinzelman, W.: Prolonging the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks via Unequal Clustering. In: Proc. of the 5th International Workshop on Algorithms for Wireless, Mobile, Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks. Denver, Colorado (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Shi, G.-T., Liao, M.-H.: Movement-Assisted Data Gathering Scheme with Load-Balancing for Sensor Networks. Movement-Assisted Data Gathering Scheme with Load-Balancing for Sensor Networks. Journal of Software 18(9), 2235–2244 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Monks, J.P., Ebert, J.P., Wolisz, A., Mei, W., Hwu, W.: A study of the Energy Saving and Capacity Improvement Potential of Power Control in Multi-Hop Wireless Networks. In: Workshop on Wireless Local Networks, also Conf of Local Computer Networks(LCN), Tampa, Florida, USA (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Kubisch, M., Karl, H., Wolisz, A., Zhong, L.C., Rabaey, J.: Distributed Algorithms for Transmission Power Control in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 2003 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking, WCNC 2003, March 16-20, vol. 1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, H., Tu, Y.-Q., Xiao, W., Guo, B., Xu, G.-B.: The Power Control Method in Sensor Networks of LQI-based Mean Value. Journal of Logistical Engineering University 25(2), 56–59 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Gungor, V.C., Sastry, C., Song, Z., Integlia, R.: Resource-Aware and Link Quality Based Routing Metric for Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks. In: Proceeding of IEEE ICC, Glasgow, UK, pp. 3364–3369 (2007)Google Scholar