Security in Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network: Focus on Suitable Encryption Mechanisms
Underwater acoustic sensor network (UWASN) technology is advancing recently, and research is increasing rapidly. UWASN can be applicable to many fields such as underwater monitoring, underwater resource exploration, ocean data collection, and military purposes. Existing terrestrial wireless sensor network security mechanisms have not been applied to UWASNs due to interference such as multipath propagation, signal fading, limited bandwidth, slow data rates, and long transmission delays. UWASNs also require security mechanisms and algorithms to maintain data confidentiality and integrity. Security-related research is being actively conducted, but it is still in its nascent stages. Therefore, when considering a UWASN protocol stack, the application layer, when sending data to its sub-layer, needs to encrypt the payload for information security. In this paper, we consider the requirements and security issues of UWASNs. We also discuss applicable security algorithms that are suitable for UWASN.
KeywordsSecurity Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network Encryption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shin, S.Y., Namgung, J.I., Park, S.H.: SBMAC: Smart Blocking MAC mechanism forVariable UW-ASN (Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network) Environment. Sensors 10(1) (January 2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Yun, N.-Y., Kim, Y.-P., Muminov, S., Lee, J.-Y., Shin, S.-Y., Park, S.-H.: Sync MAC Protocol to control Underwater Vehicle basedon Underwater Acoustic Communication. In: Proc. of IEEE/IFIPInternational Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing, Melbourne, pp. 452–456 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Dong, Y., Liu, P.: Security consideration of Underwater Acoustic Networks. In: International Congress on Acoustics, ICA 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Cong, Y., Yang, G., Wei, Z., Zhou, W.: Security in underwater Sensor network. In: International Conference on Communication and Mobile Computing (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Dini, G., Lo Duca, A.: A Cryptographic Suite for Underwater Cooperative Applications. In: Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 870–875 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Domingo, M.C.: Securing underwater wireless communication networks. IEEE Wireless Communications (February 2011)Google Scholar