Real-Time Visualization for Large Scale Terrain Based on Linear Quadtree
To solve the problem of low frame rate and high memory space cost in large scale terrain visualization, a real-time rendering algorithm based on linear quadtree is proposed in this paper. It consists of three parts. Firstly, digital elevation models (DEMs) are de-sampled to get the same size blocks, terrain pyramid model is built with different scales and biases factors offline. Then linear quadtree index of terrain blocks is created for fast query, a more reasonable scheduling scheme is defined, and every frame only allowed loading one terrain block in order to avoid unstable rendering quality. Finally, GPU-based morphing method is applied to slow down vertex popping; vertical skirt is used to eliminate crack. Compared with Geomipmapping algorithm, the experimental results show the proposed algorithm could drop down memory space, GPU processing time and GPU rendering batches significantly, and the rendering rate is high and smooth.
KeywordsTerrain Rendering Dynamic Scheduling Linear Quadtree GPU
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Duchaineau, M., Wolinsky, M., Sigeti, D.Y., Miller, M.C., Aldrich, C., Mineev-Weinstein, M.B.: ROAM Terrain: Real-time Optimally Adapting Meshes. In: Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Visualization, pp. 81–88 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Röttger, S., Heidrich, W., Slusallek, P., Seidel, H.: Real-Time Generation of Continuous Levels of Detail for Height Fields. In: Winter School in Computer Graphics 1998, pp. 315–322 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.de Boer, W.H.: Fast Terrain Rendering Using Geometrical Mipmapping (2000), http://www.ipcode.com/tutorials/geomipmaps.pdf
- 5.Urlich, T.: Rendering Massive Terrains Using Chunked Level of Detail Control. Technical report, SIGGRAPH 2002 Course Notes (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Asirvatham, A., Hoppe, H.: Terrain Rendering Using GPU-Based Geometry Clipmaps. In: Pharr, M., Fernando, R. (eds.) GPU Gems 2, pp. 27–45. Addison-Wesley (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Strugar, F.: Continuous distance-dependent level of detail for rendering heightmaps. J. Graph. GPU. Game Tools 14, 54–74 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Szofran, A.: Global Terrain Technology for Flight Simulation (2008), http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/developers/Pages/GlobalTerrain.aspx
- 9.Akenine-Moller, T., Haines, E.: Real-Time Rendering, 3rd edn. AK Peters (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Fernando, R., Kilgard, M.J.: The Cg Tutorial The Definitive Guide to Programmable Real-Time Graphics. Addison-Wesley (2003)Google Scholar