A Multi-resolution Display Method for Digital Archives of Cultural Properties Using Polygon Reconsruction
In this paper, we propose a multi-resolution display method for digital archives of cultural properties using polygon reconstruction. When digital archives of cultural properties are displayed in VR systems for research purpose, mesh resolution had to be changeable on the demand of user. Additionally, for user’s comfortability, polygon reconstruction needs to be executed in real-time. History of preliminary polygon reductions is adopted for the proposed method so that polygon reconstruction is executed in real-time. To validate the VR system using the polygon reconstruction based multi-resolution display method, some experiments are performed. As the result of the experiments, the proposed method is performed within 1.0 second, which is considered as ”real-time” by the definition of typical user-interface.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clark, J.T., Slator, B.M., Bergstrom, A., Larson, F., Frovarp, R., Landrum III, J.E., Perrizo, W.: Preservation and access of cultural heritage objects through a digital archive network for anthropology. In: Proceedings Seventh International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, pp. 28–38 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Kinect-Xbox.com, http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect/
- 3.Greenleaf, W.J.: Developing the tools for practical VR applications. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, 23–30 (March/April 1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Garland, M., Heckbert, P.S.: Surface simplication using quadric error metrics. In: SIGGRAPH 1997 Proceedings, pp. 209–216 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Nielsen, J., Pernice, K.: Eyetracking Web Usability. New Riders Press (December 2009)Google Scholar