Information Sharing among Innovative SME: An Exploratory Study within the Portuguese SME Innovation Network
This paper aims to enhance understanding on inter-organizational information sharing through a study in a Portuguese SME Innovation Network, which is composed of innovative firms from different economical sectors. The type of information shared was identified as well as the channels used, the gains obtained and the factors that influence its occurrence. A qualitative approach was used based on the perception of members and coordination. The motivating role played by the coordination of the network is a point to emphasize regarding the collective sharing of information. Factors related to network structure, national culture, characteristics of the companies and channels used were identified as inhibitors to a greater identification between the companies. Moreover, the factors that influence the information sharing process between the companies and its most important information sharing partners within the network were also identified.
KeywordsInformation Sharing Absorptive Capacity Strategic Alliance Innovative Firm Innovation Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Britto, J.: Elementos estruturais e conformação interna das redes de empresas: desdobramentos metodológicos, analíticos e empíricos (2001), http://www.race.nuca.ie.ufrj.br/sep/eventos:enc2002/m24-britto.doc (accessed September 20, 2002)
- Capurro, R.: Epistemologia e Ciência da Informação. V Encontro Nacional de Pesquisa em Ciência da Informação. Belo Horizonte, Brasil (2003), http://www.capurro.de/enancib_p.html (accessed May 07, 2010)
- Cotec Network Website, http://www.cotecportugal.pt/index.php?option=com_advfrontpage&lang=en,which
- Creswell, J.W.: Research desing: qualitative and quantitative approaches. Sage publications, California (1994)Google Scholar
- Easterby-Smith, M., Lyles, M.A., Tsang, E.W.K.: Inter-Organizational Knowledge Transfer: Current Themes and Future Prospects. Journal of Management Studies 45(4) (2008)Google Scholar
- Ernst, D., Kim, L.: Global production networks, knowledge diffusion and local capability formation: a conceptual framework. Paper Presented at the Nelson & Winter Conference in Aalborg, Denmark (January 26, 2012), http://www.druid.dk/conferences/nw/paper1/Ernst_and_Kim.pdf
- Fiala, P.: Information sharing in supply chains. Omega 33 (2004), http://www.sciencedirect.com (accessed January 27, 2012)
- Fritsch, M., Kauffeld-Monz, M.: The impact of network structure on knowledge transfer: an application of social network analysis in the context of regional innovation networks (2008), http://www.wiwi.uni-jena.de/uiw/publications/pub_since_2007.html (accessed April 20, 2010)
- Mei, S., Nie, M.: Relationship between Knowledge Sharing, Knowledge Characteristics, Absorptive capacity and Innovation: an empirical study of Wuhan Optoelectronic Cluster. The Business Review 7(2) (summer, 2007)Google Scholar
- Moreira, P.S.: Liderança e Cultura de Rede em Portugal: casos de sucesso. Livros Horizontes Ltda, Lisboa (2007)Google Scholar
- Wijk, R., Jansen, J.J.P., Lyles, M.: Inter- and Intra-Organizational Knowledge Transfer: A Meta-Analytic Review and Assessment of its Antecedents and Consequences. Journal of Management Studies 45(4) (2008)Google Scholar
- Yin, R.K.: Case study research: design and method, 3rd edn. Sage Publications, London (2009)Google Scholar