HAVEN: An Open Framework for FPGA-Accelerated Functional Verification of Hardware
- 750 Downloads
Functional verification is a widespread technique to check whether a hardware system satisfies a given correctness specification. As the complexity of modern hardware systems rises rapidly, it is a challenging task to find appropriate techniques for acceleration of this process. In this paper we present HAVEN, a freely available open functional verification framework that exploits the field-programmable gate array (FPGA) technology for cycle-accurate acceleration of simulation-based verification runs. HAVEN takes advantage of the inherent parallelism of hardware systems and moves the verified system together with transaction-based interface components of the functional verification environment from software into an FPGA. The presented framework is written in SystemVerilog and complies with the principles of functional verification methodologies (OVM, UVM), assertion-based verification, and also provides adequate debugging visibility, making its application range quite large. Our experiments confirm the assumption that the achieved acceleration is proportional to the complexity of the verified system, with the peak acceleration ratio being over 1,000.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Šimková, M., Lengál, O., Kajan, M.: HAVEN: An Open Framework for FPGA-Accelerated Functional Verification of Hardware. Technical Report FIT-TR-2011-05, FIT BUT (2011), http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~ilengal/pub/FIT-TR-2011-05.pdf
- 2.Mentor Graphics. Veloce (2011), http://www.mentor.com/products/fv/emulation-systems/veloce/
- 3.Cadence. Transaction-based Acceleration (TBA) (2011), http://www.cadence.com/products/sd/pages/transactionacc.aspx
- 4.Huang, C.-Y., Yin, Y.-F., Hsu, C.-J., Huang, T.B., Chang, T.M.: SoC HW/SW Verification and Validation. In: Proc. of ASPDAC 2011. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Schwarztrauber, A.: SEmulation: Use Your Emulation Board as a Hardware Accelerator for ModelSim SE. Verification Horizons 5, 31–34 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Das, S., Mohanty, R., Dasgupta, P., Chakrabarti, P.P.: Synthesis of System Verilog Assertions. In: Proc. of DATE 2006. EDAA (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Accelera Interface Technical Committee. SCE-MI (2011), http://www.accellera.org/activities/itc/