A Multiple Classifier System for Classification of Breast Lesions Using Dynamic and Morphological Features in DCE-MRI
In this paper we propose a Multiple Classifier System (MCS) for classifying breast lesions in Dynamic Contrast Enhanced-Magnetic Resonance Imaging (DCE-MRI). The proposed MCS combines the results of two classifiers trained with dynamic and morphological features respectively. Twenty-one malignant and seventeen benign breast lesions, histologically proven, were analyzed. Volumes of Interest (VOIs) have been automatically extracted via a segmentation procedure assessed in a previous study. The performance of the MCS have been compared with histological classification. Results indicated that with automatic segmented VOIs 90% of test-set lesions were correctly classified.
Keywordsbreast DCE-MRI multiple classification system morphological and dynamic features
- 1.Olsen, O., et al.: Screening for breast cancer with mammography. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews CD001877 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Zheng, Y., et al.: Segmentation and classification of breast tumor using dynamic contrast-enhanced MR images. Med. Image Comput. Comput. Assist. Interv. 10(Pt 2), 393–401 (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Fusco, R., et al.: Classification of breast lesions using dynamic and morphological features in DCE-MRI. In: Proceedings of Congresso Nazionale di Bioingegneria 2012, Rome, Italy, June 26-29 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.Fusco, R., et al.: Segmentation and classification of breast lesions using dynamic features in Dynamic Contrast Enhanced-Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In: Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Symposium on Computer based Medical Systems (CBMS), Rome, Italy, June 20-22 (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.Keyvanfard, F., et al.: Specificity enhancement in classification of breast MRI lesion based on multi-classifier. Neural Computing and Applications (2012), doi:10.1007/s00521-012-0937-yGoogle Scholar