The Benefits of Cloud Computing in the Maritime Transport
Maritime transport is the prominent mode of trade between European Union (EU) and non-EU member countries. As a result, EU ports and government administrations are under constant pressure to increase the efficiency and quality of their services, recognising the critical role of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). Cloud computing (CC) as significant advance in ICT development is expected to dominate the maritime transport development landscape in the coming years. The advent of CC where applications are served with data that is stored on the Internet “in the clouds” and can be accessed and shared by the parties involved in the supply chain operation has evoked various degree of interest. It can be explained some of the benefits and challenges of using cloud services in maritime transport which are presented in this paper, particularly the first benefits of some Maritime Transport Single Window implementation initiatives already making use of cloud technology. Also are described the benefits of using CC in maritime transport concerning its technical fleet management operations.
KeywordsCloud Computing Maritime Transport Information and Communication Technologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lynch, G.: e-Maritime Overview. Periodic Study, SKEMA Interactive Knowledge Platform for Maritime Transport and Logistics (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.McLaughlin, H.: e-Maritime Periodic Study Summary. SKEMA Interactive Knowledge Platform for Maritime Transport and Logistics (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Franclin, J. C., Chee, B.J.S.: Cloud Computing. CRC Press Inc., Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Babcock, Ch.: Management Strategies for the Cloud Revolution. McGraw-Hill, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Koh, J., Tsen, T.: Ten years of Single Window Implementation: Lessons learned for the future. Global Trade Facilitation Conference, Connecting International Trade: Single Windows and Supply Chains in the Next Decade (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.e-Freight D3.2 – Reference Solutions for Next Generation National Single Windows (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Trans-Kalahari Corridor regional Single Window, http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/37/56/48367286.pdf
- 8.SOGET’s e-Maritime Port Single Window Project, http://www.microsoft.com/publicsector/ww/international-organizations/projects/Pages/enabling-maritime-trade-automation.aspx
- 9.Bureau International Maritime, http://www.bimv.com/en/SingleWindow/
- 10.MESPAS, http://www.mespas.com/
- 11.Thoma, Ch.: Software as a Service - revolutionizing fleet management. Digital Ship 42(1), 40–42 (2011)Google Scholar