A Systematic Approach for Rattle Problem Detection and Prevention of Seat Belt Retractors
Seat belt retractor rattle is one of the most frequently encountered vehicle squeak and rattle problems—a major quality issue. Numerous papers have been published concerning problem detection and design improvements for brand new seat belt retractors. In reality, the rattle performance tends to degrade as vehicle mileage gets accumulated, which would hurt long-term customer satisfaction. None of previously published papers mentioned the performance degradation and prevention strategies of seat belt retractors. The current paper presents a systematic approach for detection of rattle performance degradation of seat belt retractors and design optimization strategies for preventing degradation.
KeywordsSeat belt retractor Rattle noise Detection Prevention CAE analysis
The authors would like to thank CAE Department in the Changan Auto Global R&D Center for their support in body rattle sensitivity CAE analysis.
- 1.Malinow IG, Perkins NC (1999) “Seat belt retractor rattle: understanding root sources and testing methods”, SAE paper 1999-01-1729Google Scholar
- 2.Morgan CD, Naganarayania BP, Shanker S (2004) “Comparative evaluation of seat belt retractor websense mechanism rattle noise”, SAE paper 2004-01-0391Google Scholar
- 3.De Oliveira ED, Hualppa B, Reis DB (2005) “Seat belt retractor objective evaluation”, SAE paper 2005-01-4164Google Scholar
- 4.Liu KJ, DeVilbiss T, Freeman M (1999) “Experimental analysis of rattle noise abatement in seatbelt retractor assembly”, SAE paper 1999-01-1723Google Scholar
- 5.Kuo EY, Liaw L “Statistical analysis of vehicle high mileage NVH performance”, SAE paper 971912Google Scholar