Towards Secure Time-Triggered Systems
This paper presents the development of a novel joint safety and security architecture for dependable embedded time-triggered systems. While fault-tolerance properties of time-triggered protocols have been very well studied, research on security aspects for time-triggered systems have hardly been covered. Therefore, we explore system design principles which efficiently realize security mechanisms for time-triggered architectures. A particular focus is on synergistic effects of security and safety-related functions, thereby supporting the roll-out of safety-critical embedded systems even in ‘untrusted’ environments. As a main contribution, we present the Secure COmmunication in Time-Triggered sYstems (SCOTTY) approach to build secure time-triggered systems.
Keywordstime-triggered systems security challenges safety-criticality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, R.J.: Security engineering - a guide to building dependable distributed systems, 2nd edn. Wiley (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Bar-El, H.: Intra-vehicle information security framework. Tech. rep., Discretix Technologies Ltd. (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Berwanger, J., Ebner, C., Schedl, A., Belschner, R., Fluhrer, S., et al.: FlexRay – The Communication System for Advanced Automotive Control Systems (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Cooney, M.: Nasa takes ethernet deeper into space (2009), http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/40899
- 9.Rushby, J.: A comparison of bus architectures for safety-critical embedded systems. Research Report NASA/CR-2003-212161, pp. 112–126 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Schoitsch, E.: Design for safety and security of complex embedded systems: a unified approach. In: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Cyberspace Security and Defense: Research Issues, pp. 161–174. Springer (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Treytl, A., Gaderer, G., Hirschler, B., Cohen, R.: Traps and pitfalls in secure clock synchronization. In: ISPCS, pp. 18–24 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Treytl, A., Hirschler, B.: Securing IEEE 1588 by ipsec tunnels - an analysis. In: ISPCS, pp. 83–90 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Wasicek, A.: Security in Time-Triggered Systems. Ph.D. thesis, Vienna University of Technology (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Wasicek, A., Salloum, C.E., Kopetz, H.: Authentication in time-triggered systems using time-delayed release of keys. In: ISORC, pp. 31–39 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Wolf, M., Weimerskirch, A., Paar, C.: Embedded security in cars: Securing current and future automotive it applications (2006)Google Scholar