Diamond Scanning Order of Image Blocks for Massively Parallel HEVC Compression
In all hybrid video coders the raster scanning order of macroblock has been used. Such order scheme make parallel processing of macroblock very difficult. or even impossible The paper presents alternative method of macroblock ordering called “diamond scan”. This scheme of macroblock ordering allows for strong parallelization of macroblock processing and to have benefit from multicore processors (GP and GPU). Applying presented scheme leads to create a more efficient software and hardware implementations, in terms of energy consumption and efficient use of available equipment.
KeywordsImage Block Code Unit Video Compression Scanning Scheme Average PSNR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Woods, J.W.: Multidimensional Signal, Image, and Video Processing and Coding. Academic Press (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.ISO/IEC 14496-10:2010, Coding of Audio-Visual Objects, Part 10: Advanced Video Coding (December 2010)Google Scholar
- 3.ITU-T Q6/16 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11: Joint call for proposals on video compression technology. MPEG Document N11113, Kyoto, Japan (January 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Mesa, M.A., Ramirez, A., Azevedo, A., Meenderinck, C., Juurlink, B., Valero, M.: Scalability of Macroblock-level Parallelism for H.264 Decoding. In: 2009 15th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), December 8-11, pp. 236–243 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Clare, G., Henry, F., Pateux, S.: Wavefront Parallel Processing for HEVC Encoding and Decoding, JCTVC-F274 / m20694, 6th Meeting: Torino, IT, July 14-22 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Blaszak, L., Domanski, M.: Spiral coding order of macroblocks with applications to SNR-scalable video compression. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2005, September 11-14, vol. 3, pp. III-688–III-691 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.McCann, K., Bross, B., Kim, I.K., Sekiguchi, S., Han, W.J.: HM5: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Test Model 5 Encoder Description. JCTVC- G1102, JCT-VC Meeting, Geneva (November 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers: VC-1 Compressed Video Bitstream Format and Decoding Process. SMPTE 421M-2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Audio Video Coding Standard Workgroup of China (AVS): The Standards of People’s Republic of China GB/T 20090.2-2006, Information Technology Advanced Coding of Audio and Video Part 2:Video (2006)Google Scholar