Improved Adaptive Arithmetic Coding for HEVC Video Compression Technology
The paper presents Improved Adaptive Arithmetic Coding algorithm for application in forthcoming HEVC video compression technology. The proposed solution is based on standard CABAC algorithm and uses author’s new mechanism of data statistics modeling that is based on CTW technique. The improved CABAC algorithm is characterized with better compression performance relative to standard CABAC. In the framework of HEVC encoder 1.6% - 4.5% bitrate reduction was obtained when using improved CABAC instead of the original algorithm.
KeywordsAdaptive arithmetic coding improved CABAC HEVC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Special issue on H.264/AVC video coding standard. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 13 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Tian, X., Le, T.M., Lian, Y.: Entropy Coders of the H.264/AVC Standard. Springer (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.McCann, K., Bross, B., Kim, I.K., Sekiguchi, S., Han, W.J.: HM5: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Test Model 5 Encoder Description. JCTVC- G1102, JCT-VC Meeting, Geneva (November 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Karwowski, D., Domański, M.: Improved Context-Adaptive Arithmetic Coding in H.264/AVC. In: European Signal Processing Conference, EUSIPCO 2009, Glasgow, Scotland (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.ITU-T Q6/16 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11: Joint call for proposals on video compression technology. MPEG Document N11113, Kyoto, Japan (January 2010) Google Scholar
- 10.Bjøntegaard, G.: Calculation of Average PSNR Differences between RD curves. ITU-T SG16/Q6. In: 13th VCEG Meeting, Austin, Texas, USA, Doc. VCEG-M33 (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Salomon, D., Motta, G.: Handbook of data compression. Springer (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Nguyen, T., Winken, M., Marpe, D., Schwarz, H., Wiegand, T.: Reduced-complexity entropy coding of transform coefficient levels using a combination of VLC and PIPE. JCTVC- D336, JCT-VC Meeting, Daegu (January 2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Li, B., Sullivan, G., Xu, J.: Comparison of Compression Performance of HEVC Working Draft 5 with AVC High Profile. JCTVC- H0360, JCT-VC Meeting, San Jose (February 2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Bossen, F., Flynn, D., Suhring, K.: AHG Report - Software development and HM software technical evaluation. JCTVC-G003, JCT-VC Meeting, Geneva (November 2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Karwowski, D., Domański, M.: Optimized architectures of CABAC codec for IA-32-, DSP- and FPGA-based platforms. Image Processing and Communications (Institute of Telecommunications, Bydgoszcz) 14(2-3), s.5–s.12 (2009)Google Scholar