Bag of Features for Automatic Classification of Alzheimer’s Disease in Magnetic Resonance Images
The goal of this paper is to evaluate the suitability of a bag-of-feature representation for automatic classification of Alzheimer’s disease brain magnetic resonance (MR) images. The evaluated method uses a bag-of-features (BOF) to represent the MR images, which are then fed to a support vector machine, which has been trained to distinguish between normal control and Alzheimer’s disease. The method was applied to a set of images from the OASIS data set. An exhaustive exploration of different BOF parameters was performed, i.e. feature extraction, dictionary construction and classification model. The experimental results show that the evaluated method reaches competitive performance in terms of accuracy, sensibility and specificity. In particular, the method based on a BOF representation outperforms the best published result in this data set improving the equal error classification rate in about 10% (0.80 to 0.95 for Group 1 and 0.71 to 0.81 for Group 2).
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Patch Size Visual Word Dictionary Size Visual Dictionary
- 3.Avni, U., Greenspan, H., Sharon, M., Konen, E., Goldberger, J.: X-ray image categorization and retrieval using patch-based visualwords representation. In: IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, ISBI 2009, pp. 350–353. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Buckner, R.L., Head, D., Parker, J., Fotenos, A.F., Marcus, D., Morris, J.C., Snyder, A.Z.: A unified approach for morphometric and functional data analysis in young, old, and demented adults using automated atlas-based head size normalization: reliability and validation against manual measurement of total intracranial volume. Neuroimage 23(2), 724–738 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cruz-Roa, A., Caicedo, J.C., González, F.A.: Visual pattern mining in histology image collections using bag of features. In: Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Diaz, G., Romero, E.: Micro-structural tissue analysis for automatic histopathological image annotation. Microscopy Research and Technique, pp. 343–358 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Nestor, P.J., Scheltens, P., Hodges, J.R.: Advances in the early detection of alzheimer’s disease. Nature Reviews Neuroscience (2004)Google Scholar