Estimating a Causal Order among Groups of Variables in Linear Models
The machine learning community has recently devoted much attention to the problem of inferring causal relationships from statistical data. Most of this work has focused on uncovering connections among scalar random variables. We generalize existing methods to apply to collections of multi-dimensional random vectors, focusing on techniques applicable to linear models. The performance of the resulting algorithms is evaluated and compared in simulations, which show that our methods can, in many cases, provide useful information on causal relationships even for relatively small sample sizes.
KeywordsOrdinary Little Square Online Appendix Connection Matrix Causal Order Causal Discovery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spirtes, P., Glymour, C., Scheines, R.: Causation, Prediction, and Search, 2nd edn. MIT Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Pearl, J.: Causality: Models, Reasoning, and Inference, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Chickering, D.M., Meek, C.: Finding optimal bayesian networks. In: UAI (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Hyvärinen, A.: Pairwise measures of causal directions in linear non-gaussian acyclic models. JMLR W.&C.P. 13, 1–16 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Kawahara, Y., Bollen, K., Shimizu, S., Washio, T.: GroupLiNGAM: Linear non-gaussian acyclic models for sets of variables. arXiv, 1006.5041v1 (June 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Janzing, D., Hoyer, P.O., Schölkopf, B.: Telling cause from effect based on high-dimensional observations. In: ICML (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Zscheischler, J., Janzing, D., Zhang, K.: Testing whether linear equations are causal: A free probability theory approach. In: UAI (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Scheines, R., Spirtes, P.: Causal structure search: Philosophical foundations and problems, 2008. In: NIPS 2008 Workshop: Causality: Objectives and Assessment (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Fisher, R.A.: Statistical Methods for Research Workers, 11th edn. Oliver and Boyd, London (1950)Google Scholar
- 12.Gretton, A., Fukumizu, K., Teo, C.H., Song, L., Schölkopf, B., Smola, A.J.: A kernel statistical test of independence. In: NIPS (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Hastie, T., Tibshirani, R., Friedman, J.: The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference and Prediction, 2nd edn. Springer (2008)Google Scholar