The European TEL Projects Community from a Social Network Analysis Perspective
In this paper we draw a community landscape of European Commission-funded TEL projects and organizations in the 6th and 7th Framework Programmes and eContentplus. The project metadata were crawled from the web and maintained as part of the TEL Mediabase, a large collection of data obtained from different web sources including blogs, bibliographies, and project fact sheets. We apply social network analysis and impact analysis on the project consortium progression graph and on the organizational collaboration graph to identify the most central TEL projects and organizations. The key findings are that networks of excellence and integrated projects have the strongest impact on the project network; that eContentplus was a funding bridge between FP6 and FP7; and that the tightly knit collaboration network may inhibit the assimilation of new organizations and ideas into the TEL community.
KeywordsSocial Network Analysis Community Detection Collaboration Network Successor Project Project Consortium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Voigt, C. (ed.): 4th Evaluation Report – Including Social Network Analysis. Deliverable D7.5, STELLAR Nework of Excellence (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Barber, M., Krueger, A., Krueger, T., Roediger-Schluga, T.: Network of European Union–funded collaborative research and development projects. Physical Review E 73 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Frachisse, D., Billand, P., Massard, N.: The Sixth Framework Program as an Affiliation Network: Representation and Analysis (2008), http://ssrn.com/abstract=1117966
- 10.Roediger-Schluga, T., Dachs, B.: Does technology affect network structure? - A quantitative analysis of collaborative research projects in two specific EU programmes. UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 041 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Derntl, M., Klamma, R.: Social Network Analysis of European Project Consortia to Reveal Impact of Technology-Enhanced Learning Projects. In: 12th IEEE Int. Conf. on Advanced Learning Technologies, ICALT 2012. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.European Commission: Community Research and Development Information Service (CORDIS), http://cordis.europa.eu/home_en.html
- 13.Derntl, M., Renzel, D., Klamma, R.: Mapping the European TEL Project Landscape Using Social Network Analysis and Advanced Query Visualization. In: 1st Int. Workshop on Enhancing Learning with Ambient Displays and Visualization Techniques, ADVTEL 2011 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Derntl, M., Erdtmann, S., Klamma, R.: An Embeddable Dashboard for Widget-Based Visual Analytics on Scientific Communities. In: 12th Int. Conf. on Knowledge Management and Knowledge Technologies, I-KNOW 2012. ACM (2012)Google Scholar