Mood Tracking in Virtual Meetings
Awareness of own and of other people’s mood are prerequisite to a reflective learning process which allows people to consciously change their perception of, attitude towards and behaviour in future work situations. In this paper we investigate the usage and usefulness of the MoodMap App – an application for tracking own mood and creating awareness about the mood of team members in virtual meetings. Our study shows that especially the possibility to compare own mood to the mood of others’ is perceived as useful and therefore enhances interpersonal communication in virtual team settings. Whilst users express an interest in tracking own mood, they need to relate their mood to the current context, and wish to receive feedback or other helpful input from the app in order to achieve propitious reflective learning.
Keywordsmood tracking reflective learning workplace empirical study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Boud, D., Keogh, R., Walker, D.: Reflection: turning experience into learning, 1st edn. Routledge Falmer (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Church, K., Hoggan, E., Nuria, O.: A study of mobile mood awareness and communication through mobimood. In: Proceedings of the 6th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Extending Boundaries, pp. 128–137 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Frijda, N.: Emotions and episodes. Moods and sentiments, pp. 59–67. Oxford University Press (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Itten, J.: Kunst der Farbe, 1st edn. Otto Maier Verlag, Ravensburg (1971)Google Scholar
- 6.Matic, A., Papliatseyeu, A., Gabrielli, S., Osmani, V., Mayora-Ibarra, O., Via Alla Cascata, D.: Happy or Moody? Why so? Ubihealth (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Mora, S., Rivera-Pelayo, V., Müller, L.: Supporting mood awareness in collaborative settings. In: Georgakopoulos, D., Joshi, J.B.D. (eds.) CollaborateCom., pp. 268–277. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Saari, T., Kallinen, K., Salminen, M., Ravaja, N., Yanev, K.: A mobile system and application for facilitating emotional awareness in knowledge work teams. In: Proceedings of the 41st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS 2008, p. 44 (2008)Google Scholar