The Role of a Conventional Transformation Scheme for Vertical Reference Frames
A conventional transformation between different realizations of a vertical reference system is an important tool for geodetic studies on precise vertical positioning and physical height determination. Its main role is the evaluation of the consistency for co-located vertical reference frames (VRFs) on the basis of some fundamental ‘datum perturbation’ parameters. Our scope herein is to discuss a number of key issues related to the formulation of such a VRF transformation model and to present a few examples from its practical implementation in the comparison of various existing vertical frames over Europe.
KeywordsVertical reference frames Physical height transformation
Urs Marti from the Swiss Federal Office of Topography (SwissTopo) is acknowledged for providing the Swiss height data from the EUVN-DA project.
- Grappo GA (1980) Determination of the Earth’s mean equatorial radius and center of mass from Doppler-derived and gravimetric geoid heights. Manuscr Geod 5:201–216Google Scholar
- Heiskanen W, Moritz H (1967) Physical geodesy. WH Freeman, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Ihde J (2007) Conventions for the definition and realization of a conventional VRS. Report of the IAG inter-commission project on vertical reference framesGoogle Scholar
- Ihde J, Augath W (2001) The European vertical reference system (EVRS), its relation to a World Height System and to ITRS. IAG symposia, vol 125. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp 78–83Google Scholar
- Jekeli C (2000) Heights, the geopotential and vertical datums. Department of Geodetic Science, The Ohio State University, OSU Report no. 459, Columbus, OHGoogle Scholar
- Leick A, van Gelder BHW (1975) On similarity transformations and geodetic network distortions based on Doppler satellite observations. Department of Geodetic Science, The Ohio State University, OSU Report no. 235, Columbus, OHGoogle Scholar
- Mäkinen J, Ihde J (2009) The permanent tide in height systems. IAG symposia, vol 133. Springer-Velag, Berlin, pp 81–87Google Scholar
- Marti U (2010) Private communicationGoogle Scholar
- Sacher M, Ihde J, Liebsch G, Mäkinen J (2008) EVRF07 as realization of the European vertical reference system. Presented at the annual EUREF symposium, Brussels, 18–21 June 2008Google Scholar