Study of Active Flow Control for a Simplified Vehicle Model Using PANS Turbulence Model
Flow control has shown a potential in reducing the drag in vehicle aerodynamics. Its effects are highly related to the flow structures, including small ones, and thus accurate predictions of the flow field are needed for numerical investigation. The numerical study reported in the present paper deals with active flow control for a quasi-2D simplified vehicle model by a synthetic jet. A newly developed PANS turbulence model is used, based on the ζ − f RANS turbulence model. The aim is to validate the performance of this model for the complex flow control problem. Results are compared with previous studies using LES and experimental data, including global flow parameters of Strouhal number, drag coefficients and velocity profiles. The PANS model predicts a drag reduction of 9.8%, which is close to previous LES results. The velocity profiles predicted by the PANS model agree well with experimental data for both natural and controlled cases. It is found that the PANS model is able to predict the flow control problem well, actually in a way not inferior to the LES method, and can thus be used for further flow control studies in vehicle aerodynamics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahmed, S.R., Ramm, G., Faltin, G.: Some salient features of the time averaged ground vehicle wake. SAE Paper No. 840300 (1984)Google Scholar
- 2.Basara, B., Krajnović, S., Girimaji, S.: PANS VS. LES for computations of the flow around a 3D bluff body. In: Proceedings of the 7th International ERCOFTAC Symposium on Engineering Turbulence Modelling and Measurements, Limassol, Cyprus (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Basara, B., Krajnović, S., Girimaji, S., Pavlovic, Z.: Near-wall formulation of the Partially Averaged Navier-Stokes turbulence model. AIAA J. 49 (2011) (in press)Google Scholar
- 5.Guilmineau, E., Deng, G.B., Wackers, J.: Numerical simulation with a DES approach for automotive flows. J. Fluids Struct. (2011), doi:10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2011.03.010Google Scholar
- 6.Henning, L.: Regelung abgelster scherschichten durch aktive beeinflussung. Ph.D. thesis, Technischen Universitt Berlin, Germany (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Krajnović, S., Lárusson, R., Helgason, E., Basara, B.: PANS of rudimentary landing gear. AIAA paper 2011-3109 (2011)Google Scholar