Noise Prediction of a Rudimentary Landing Gear Using Detached-Eddy Simulation
Detached-Eddy Simulation (DES) is a promising method for efficient simulation of broadband noise at minimal computational cost. Here, results from a study of broadband noise simulation using state-of-the-art DES methods are presented for a rudimentary landing gear configuration. The DDES and IDDES variants are compared with experiments in incompressible simulations. IDDES shows mild improvement in agreement and some increase in the resolution of high frequencies. An attempt is made to independently verify published results for far-field sound prediction, using a compressible simulation coupled with Ffowcs-Williams/Hawkings (FWH) integration. In contrast to the published results, our results do not provide evidence of unexpectedly strong roles played by the ceiling or by quadrupoles. Our results furthermore predict much lower far-field noise levels than the published results. Good agreement between solid and permeable FWH surfaces is found as long as the permeable surfaces are open downstream.
KeywordsPermeable Surface Front Wheel Rear Wheel Horseshoe Vortex Hanging Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bogey, C., Bailly, C.: Three-dimensional non-reflective boundary conditions for acoustic simulations: far-field formulation and validation test cases. Acta Acustica United with Acustica 88, 463–471 (2002)Google Scholar
- Mockett, C.: A comprehensive study of detached-eddy simulation. Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universitaet Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- Lien, F.S., Leschziner, M.: A general non-orthogonal collocated finite volume algorithm for turbulent flow at all speeds incorporating second-moment turbulence- transport closure, Part 1: Computational implementation. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. 114, 123–148 (1994)MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spalart, P.R., Mejia, K.M.: Analysis of experimental and numerical studies of the rudimentary landing gear. AIAA Paper, AIAA-2011-0355Google Scholar
- Travin, A., Shur, M., Strelets, M., Spalart, P.R.: Physical and numerical upgrades in the detached-eddy simulation of complex turbulent flows. In: Euromech. Coll. 412. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar
- Xue, L.: Entwicklung eines effizienten parallelen Loesungsalgorithmus zur dreidimensionalen Simulation komplexer turbulenter Stroemungen. Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universitaet Berlin (1998)Google Scholar