Intelligent Multicast Tree Construction Protocol with Optimal Bandwidth Allocation for WSNs
This paper addresses the problem of multisession multicast tree construction with bandwidth and rate allocation in wireless sensor networks. Previous work has shown that when the goal is to find multicast routing tree, the problem becomes NP-complete. In this work, we present a heuristic Multisession Multicast Routing and Bandwidth Allocation protocol, termed MMBA, that makes use of fuzzy logic to evaluate nodes’ and network conditions during the multicast tree construction process. Rate assignment is optimized in order to be able to accept as many data streams (i.e., sessions) at the highest possible data rate in the sensor network as possible, allowing source nodes to transmit at maximum available rate, while maximizing the overall network throughput and utility. We conduct extensive evaluations to study the performance of the proposed protocol compared to existing approaches such as shortest path, Steiner and minimum transmission tree. Simulation results show that our protocol effectively improves the network throughput and utilization, while conserving per node energy consumption.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Multicast Tree Construction Multisession Bandwidth Allocation Data Streaming Fuzzy Logic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akyildiz, I., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., Cayirci, E.: Wireless sensor networks: a survey. Computer Networks (38), 393–422 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Huitema, C.: Routing in the Internet, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Wieselthier, J., Nguyen, G., Ephremides, A.: On the constuction of energy-efficient broadcast and multicast trees in wireless networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 585–594 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Ruiz, P.M., Gomez-Skarmeta, A.F.: Approximating optimal multicast trees in wireless multihop networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE ISCC (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Frey, H., Ingelrest, F., Simplot-Ryl, D.: Localized minimum spanning tree based multicast routing with energy-efficient guaranteed delivery in ad hoc and sensor networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE WoWMoM (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Cheng, L., Das, S.K., Cao, J., Chen, C., Ma, J.: Distributed minimum transmission multicast routing protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of the ICPP (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Nguyen, U.T., Asif, A., Xiong, X.: Multirate-aware multicast routing in manets. In: Proc. of the IEEE MASS (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Singh, G., Pujar, S., Das, S.: Rate-based data propagation scheme in sensor networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE WCNC (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhu, Y., Pu, K.Q.: Adaptative multicast tree construction for elastic data streams. In: Proc. of the IEEE GLOBECOM (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Su, W., Bougiouklis, T.C.: Data fusion algorithms in cluster-based wireless sensor networks using fuzzy logic theory. In: Proc. of the 11th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Communications (2007)Google Scholar