Application-Level Operations Latency Control in Networked WSAN
The utilization of wireless sensor networks in industrial environments poses issues related to performance control. We consider a networked system composed of multiple wireless sensor networks (WSN) that are plugged into a cabled Networked Control System (NCS) made of middleware computers and control stations. The challenge that we faced was to provide predictable end-to-end latency expectations in those settings, as opposed to the problem of predicting latencies within a WSN only. We consider a deployment with multiple small-sized schedule-based WSN sub-networks and the NCS. The approach accounts for details such as de-synch issues that are to be expected in the heterogeneous context. Experimental results show actual latencies and confront them with predictions in a testbed deployment.
Keywordsdistributed middleware sensor networks wireless sensor networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rowe, A., et al.: RT-Link: A Global Time-Synchronized Link Protocol for Sensor Networks. Elsevier Ad hoc Networks, Special Issue on Energy Efficient Design in Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.HART Communication Foundation, Wireless HART Data Sheet (April 2010), http://www.hartcomm.org/
- 3.Pister, K.S.J., Doherty, L.: TSMP: time synchronized mesh protocol. In: Proc. IASTED Symp. Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, Orlando, FL, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Shashi Prabh, K.: Real-Time Wireless Sensor Networks, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Ergen, S.C., Varaiya, P.: PEDAMACS: Power Efficient and Delay Aware Medium Access Protocol for Sensor Networks. IEEE Trans. Mobile Comput. (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, X., Goldsmith, A.: Wireless medium access control in networked control systems. In: Proc. IEEE American Control Conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, X., Goldsmith, A.: Wireless network design for distributed control. In: 43rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Yepez, J., Marti, P., Fuertes, J.M.: Control loop performance analysis over networked control systems. In: IEEE 28th Annual Conference of the Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2002. Dept. of Autom. Control and Comput. Eng.,Tech. Univ. of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, W., Branicky, M.S., Phillips, S.M.: Stability of Networked Control Systems. IEEE Control Systems Magazine (2001)Google Scholar