A Phased Adaptive PSO Algorithm for Multimodal Function Optimization
Particle swarm optimization is a powerful algorithm that has been applied to various kinds of problems. However, it suffers from falling into local minimum and prematurity especially on multimodal function optimization problems. In this paper, a phased adaptive particle swarm optimization(PAPSO) is proposed to solve such problem. The process is divided into the initial particle pre-searching phase and the post-searching cooperative phase. In the post phase, the strategy of selecting randomly a certain number of particles for entering the reverse-learning is one of the most effective ways of escaping local stagnation. The illustrative example is provided to confirm the validity, as compared with the SPSO, Dynamic Inertia Weight PSO(PSO-W), and Tradeoff PSO(PSO-T) in terms of convergence speed and the ability of jumping out of the local optimal value. Simulation results confirm that the proposed algorithm is effective and feasible.
Keywordsparticle swarm optimization multimodal function adaptive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A New Optimizer Using Particle Swarm Theory. In: Proc. 6th Int. Symp. Micromach. Hum. Sci., Nagoya, Japan, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, F.: Tradeoff Strategy Between Exploration and Exploitation for PSO. In: Seventh International Conference on Natural Computation, pp. 1216–1222 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Abdel, K., Rehab, F.: An Improved Discrete PSO with GA Operators for Qos-multicase Routing. International Journal of Hybrid Information Technology, 223–238 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, X.H., Li, J.J.: Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization with Simulated Annealing. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, pp. 26–29 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, S.T., Tan, M.K., Ivor, W.T.: A Hybrid PSO-BFGS Strategy for Global Optimization of Multimodal Functions. IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 41(4) (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, Y.F., Zhang, Y.F.: A PSO-based Multi-objective Optimization Approach to the Integration of Process Planning and Scheduling. In: 8th IEEE International Conference on Control and Automation, pp. 614–619 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Hu, X., Eberhart, R.: Multiobjective Optimization Using Dynamic Neighborhood Particle Swarm Ptimization. In: Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2002), vol. 2, pp. 1677–1681. IEEE Service Center, Piscataway (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Y, S.: Design of Neural Network Gain Scheduling Flight Control Law Using a Modified PSO Algorithm Based on Immune Clone Principle. In: Second International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, pp. 259–263 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Clerc, M., Kennedy, J.: The Particle Swarm-explosion Stability and Convergence in a Multidimensional Complex Space. IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., 58–73 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Li, X.D.: Niching Without Niching Parameters: Particle Swarm Optimization Using a Ring Topology. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 150–169 (February 2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, H., Zhi, J.W., Shahryar, R.: Enhancing Particle Swarm Optimization Using Generalized Opposition-based Learning. Information Sciences 181 (2011)Google Scholar