Deformation Measurement of a Human Chest Experiencing Global Motion
Current state-of-the-art techniques for determination of the change in volume of human chests, used in lung-function measurement, calculate the volume bounded by a reconstructed chest surface and its projection on to an approximately parallel static plane over a series of time instants. This method works well so long as the subject does not move globally relative to the reconstructed surface’s co-ordinate system. In practice this means the subject has to be braced, which restricts the technique’s use. We present here a method to compensate for global motion of the subject, allowing accurate measurement while free-standing, and also while undergoing intentional motion.
KeywordsMotion compensation deformable objects structured light surface reconstruction volume measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aliverti, A., Pedotti, A.: Opto-electronic plethysmography. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease 59(1), 12–16 (2003), http://archest.fsm.it/pne/pdf/59/1/pne59-1_06aliverti.pdf Google Scholar
- 2.Bennett, S.: Chess-board pattern tracking. Tech. Rep. CUED/F-INFENG/TR.672, Signal Processing and Communications Laboratory, CUED (2011), http://www-sigproc.eng.cam.ac.uk/~sb476/publications/tracker_writeup.pdf
- 3.de Boer, W., Lasenby, J., Cameron, J., Wareham, R., Ahmad, S., Roach, C., Hills, W., Iles, R.: SLP: A zero-contact non-invasive method for pulmonary function testing. In: Proceedings of the British Machine Vision Conference, pp. 85:1–85:12. BMVA Press (2010), http://www.bmva.org/bmvc/2010/conference/paper85/paper85.pdf
- 4.Brand, D.H., Lau, E., Usher-Smith, J.A., Wareham, R., Cameron, J., Bridge, P., Hills, W., Roberts, G., Lasenby, J., Iles, R.: Measurement of tidal breathing: a comparison of structured light plethysmography with pneumatachography. Thorax 64, A52 (2009), http://thorax.bmj.com/content/64/Suppl_4/A51.full Google Scholar
- 5.BTS Bioengineering: OEP - optoelectronic plethysmography, http://www.optoelectronic-plethysmography.com/
- 6.Lau, E., Brand, D.H., Usher-Smith, J.A., Wareham, R., Cameron, J., Bridge, P., Hills, W., Roberts, G., Lasenby, J., Iles, R.: Comparison of forced expiratory volumes measured with structured light plethysmography and pneumatach spirometry. Thorax 64, A52 (2009), http://thorax.bmj.com/content/64/Suppl_4/A51.full Google Scholar
- 7.PhaseSpace Inc.: IMPULSE motion capture solution, http://www.phasespace.com/impulse_motion_capture.html