Numerical Analysis of Two Wooden House Damages Induced by Dune Liquefaction during the 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-Offshore Earthquake
Many wooden houses near a dune at Kariwa Village, Kashiwazaki City, Niigata Prefecture were damaged because of the liquefaction of the dune during the 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-offshore Earthquake, Mw = 6.8. This paper performs fully coupled dynamic finite element analysis to reproduce the ground liquefaction of two wooden houses. Here, wooden house A of which the ground was improved only using horizontal drainage pipes was fully damaged; however, wooden house B of which the ground was improved by horizontal drainage system to lower the ground water level, surface ground improvement, and steel-pipe piles was slightly deformed. For wooden house B, it was found, based on the numerical results, that steel-pipe piles were more effective liquefaction mitigation measure.
KeywordsDune Liquefaction Numerical analysis
- Cai F, Hagiwara T, Imamura S, Ugai K (2002) 2D Fully coupled liquefaction analysis of sand ground under tank. In: Proceedings of the 11th Japan earthquake engineering symposium, pp 819–824 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Forum 8 Co. Ltd (2005) Finite element fully coupled dynamic effective stress analysis program (UWLC), Electrical Manual, http://www.forum8.co.jp
- Inotsume T, Onoue A, Tsuchida K, Ohzawa H, Ugai K, Wakai A, Cai F, Higuchi K, Kuroda S (2008) An example of ground deformation difference induced by the existence or no liquefaction mitigation measures. In: Proceedings of the 25th annual conference of Niigata civil engineering society, pp 152–155 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Isobe K, Ohtsuka S, Hirade T, Hayashi K, Sugimura S (2008) Seismic damage of residential area by 2007 Niigataken Chuetsu-oki Earthquake (Part4 Kariwa village). In: Proceedings of the 20th Japan national conference on geotechnical engineering, pp 1749–1750 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Yamada S, Towhata I, Ezoe A, Olivahal B, Tanaka R (2008) Liquefaction of the residential land ground due to the Niigata Chuetsu Oki Earthquake-Inaba, Kariwa-. In: Proceedings of the 20th Japan National conference on geotechnical engineering, pp 1775–1776 (in Japanese)Google Scholar