Nature Image Feature Extraction Using Several Sparse Variants of Non-negative Matrix Factorization Algorithm
Non-negative matrix factorization (NMF) is an efficient local feature extraction algorithm of natural images. To extract well features of natural images, some sparse variants of NMF, such as sparse NMF (SNMF), local NMF (LNMF), and NMF with sparseness constraints (NMFSC), have been explored. Here, used face images and palmprint images as test images, and considered different number of feature basis dimension, the validity of feature extraction using SNMF, LNMF and NMFSC is testified. Experimental results demonstrate that the level of feature extraction of LNMF is the best, and that of NMFSC is the worse, which also provides some guidance to use different NMF based algorithm in image processing task, and our task in this paper behave certain theory research meaning and application in practice.
KeywordsNon-negative matrix factorization (NMF) Local NMF (LNMF) Sparse NMF (SNMF) NMF with sparseness constraints (NMFSC) Local feature bases Image feature extraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lee, D.D., Seung, H.S.: Learning the parts of objects by non-negative matrix factorization. Nature 401(21), 788–791 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Li Stan, Z., Hou, X.W., Zhang, H.J., et al.: Learning spatially localized, parts-based representation. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Hawaii, USA, vol. 1, pp. 207–212 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Stadlthanner, K., Theis, F.J., Lang, E.W., Tomé, A.M., Puntonet, C.G., Vilda, P.G., Langmann, T., Schmitz, G.: Sparse Nonnegative Matrix Factorization Applied to Microarray Data Sets. In: Rosca, J.P., Erdogmus, D., Príncipe, J.C., Haykin, S. (eds.) ICA 2006. LNCS, vol. 3889, pp. 254–261. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hoyer, P.O.: Non-negative matrix factorization with sparseness constraints. Journal of Machine Learning Research 5, 1427–1469 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, L., Zhang, Y.J.: A survey on algorithms of non-negative matrix factorization. Acta Electronica Sinica 36(4), 737–743 (2008)Google Scholar