A New Method of Edge Detection Based on PSO
Applying an edge detector to an image, in the ideal case, may obtain a set of connected curves which indicate the boundaries of objects. Actually edges in an image are a collection of pixels which are recognized as an edge in surface orientation. This paper proposes a new edge detect algorithm which uses PSO (Particle Swarm Optimization) for detection of best fitness curves in an image that represent boundaries of objects. To improve the speed of edge use the PSO on the pixels whose gradient grate than the threshold. Use image with simple geometric objects, with impulse noise levels and the image have complex texture to assess the system. Use this algorithm on the images with high noise levels to detect edge is more accurately than existing edge detector.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Edge detection Gradient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nicu, S., Ira, C., Ashutosh, G., Thomas, S.: Machine Learning in Computer Vision (Computational Imaging and Vision). Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., Secaucus (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Engelbrecht, A.P., Ismail, A.: Training product unit neural networks. Stability and Control: Theory and Applications 2(1-2), 59–74 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Van den Berg, F.: Particle swarm weight initialization in multi-layer perceptron artificial neural networks. In: Development and Practice of Artificial Intelligence Techniques, pp. 41–45 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Van den Berg, F., Engelbrecht, A.P.: Cooperative learning in neural networks using particle swarm optimizers. South African Computer Journal, 84–90 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Kennedy, Eberhart, R.C.: Swarm intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Nie, D.X., Wen, Y.W., Yuan, L.G.: Applications of the Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm in Image Edge Detection. Journal of South China Agricultural University (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, D.J., Sun, S.X., Ding, Z.Y., Li, S.M.: Color Image Edge Detection Method Based on Improved Particle Swarm Algorithm. Computer Engineering (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Ziou, D., Tabbone, S.: Edge detection techniques an overview. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis 8(4), 537–559 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Rafael, C.G., Richard, E.W., Steven, L.E.: Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB, pp. 436–439. Publishing House of Electronics Industry (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Mahdi, S.: A new homogeneity-based approach to edge detection using PSO. In: IVCNZ (2009)Google Scholar